PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
OK so I did not lose it, problem was I could not find it and then thought I might have left it at a pipe shop I go to. Nothing expensive a estate Savinelli Canadian Alligator. But its still one of my favorites. Got that horrible sinking feeling sick in the stomach. All's well that ends well but could have done without that drama tonight. It was in my pipe bag DUH.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Like when you pat your pocket to check your keys and they aren't there!
Wait, they're in my other pocket.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You have this to look forward to: Getting to the age when you really do lose something, but you have no memory of ever having it, so you don't know that you've lost it. It's then that your wife asks, "How come you never smoke that $300.00 Dunhill I got you for Christmas five years ago?" Or, "Where are your pants?"
Then there is not remembering that you've acquired something and the question is, "Why is there a girdle in the glove box?"
Your answer should immediately be, "It's for my back dear. The doctor prescribed it."

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ warren, in 2000/2001, I knew a lady whose hubby was a WW2 vet. He was a medic in the pacific fighting the Japanese. He still woke up with nightmares from what he saw. The part that was upsetting for him was he could not remember what had actually happened and what was a dream. That bugged him more than the drams. Things we have to look forward to.
I'd not be happy losing a Dunhill.
I blew out my back and take neurontin for nerve pain. Its aka is morontin, it makes ya stupid. What's cool though is that you don't realise you are out of it until someone (usually my wife) notices you f'd something up and once I do realise I screwed something I just don't care.......other than losing a pipe, that I care about LOL

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
regarding 'that sinking feeling'...

had it over a lost Kennedy full of glazier tools I'd left on the sidewalk in the middle of our small town back then...last job of the day...didn't realize it till the next a.m. Whoa.

The guy across the street owned a feed store.

He'd saved it for me.

Talk about saving grace!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You know I think as we get older we start to develop 'Old Timers Disease' in which you forget things or leave things on tables. Your past memories are very sharp but you find yourself having to think hard as to what you ate for dinner last night. The trigger for this ailment is too many scotch and soda's before dinner and too many bottles of wine with dinner. I don't recall losing a pipe through absent mindedness but then I may have forgotten!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hate to misplace a pipe because you get so attached to them, and the one you can't find immediately increases even more

in its appeal. Usually, I can track them down after some thought. It's usually visualizing where it's gone in a casual way that

finds something. If you get anxious and stressed, it makes it harder. Often times, the whereabout of something "dawns" on

you. Buddhists say, "Joe is not looking for his keys, he is looking for himself." And there is a certain amount of truth in that,

that it is an inner order that you have misplaced.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Warren I hear you. People are constantly asking me where my pants are and I'm just like man lay off, I don't know, let's all just deal with this together as a community, it's effecting all of us.

Mar 1, 2014
-warren
You have this to look forward to: Getting to the age when you really do lose something, but you have no memory of ever having it, so you don't know that you've lost it. It's then that your wife asks, "How come you never smoke that $300.00 Dunhill I got you for Christmas five years ago?" Or, "Where are your pants?"
Then there is not remembering that you've acquired something and the question is, "Why is there a girdle in the glove box?"
Your answer should immediately be, "It's for my back dear. The doctor prescribed it."
Thanks for that Tidbit Warren.

Now I know that:

A. I am still reasonably young.

B. In preparation for the future I should probably start scribbling my name all over my possessions like I did when I was 6.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Do not forget the note pinned to your lapel with address and phone number. Very helpful for the police. the neighbors all know where you live.
You'll also want to keep note of what went in the garage sale. Two reasons for that: 1. If it was important and your wife sold it, you'[ll want to replace it. 2. You don't want to start a big search in the shop for what you sold last year.
I tell you, life gets "tejus" don't it!
Oh! And check the note before gong out if you've had a tiff with the missus. She might have changed the address and phone number.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ warren, I don't think you forgot much of anything you've got almost every scenario covered. I especially like the part "the neighbors all know where you live"

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I don't think the forgetfulness factor and/or careless mishaps that occur on a daily basis for people like myself is attributable only to age. I am only 30 and truly believe that i would misplace my own head were it not attached firmly to my shoulders.
At the Richmond pipe show recently, i brought a bunch of my pipes to show anyone interested and possibly trade or barter with. I was sitting at the pipes magazine forum table that Al set up and as Al and i were finishing up looking at pipes from each of our collections, i realized i had one extra pipe sock/sleeve with no pipe in sight to fill it. Al checked and all his pieces were accounted for. I thought i had lost a pipe and was not happy. As a follow up to the situation at hand (Al i know you remember this little mix up at the show), i must have accidentally taken someone's pipe sleeve because i counted my pipes when i got home and all were accounted for. Either that or i brought an extra sleeve and put it on the table for some strange reason. I think i'm slowly losing my marbles; it's very possible.

+1 Warren, If I'm not losing something, it's thinking, "I should go for a walk." And, looking in my closet for my shoes, but then getting there and forgetting what you walked in there for. So, I go back to my chair. Then think, "Oh I should go for a walk," and then going to the closet, lather, rinse, repeat... Some days, I'm lucky to ever leave my house, ha ha.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
rx2man:
It could have been worse...you could have been the friend of mine who was smoking his Peterson 313 bent while using the restroom in a local tobacconist's shop. While he was standing there "taking care of business" the bowl separated from the stem (which he was clenching) and dropped into the urinal!

Status
Not open for further replies.