PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Just a quick question for pipe smokers from Europe.

I live in the Czech Republic and here you can buy only 1.75Oz of tobacco, if the tobacco goes from a non EU country, when you don't want to pay high fees. I would like to buy some bulk tobacco from Smokingpipes.com, but their options are either 1Oz or 2Oz and higher.

Have anyone of you had an experience with buying 2Oz of bulk tobacco? I wonder if they would stop the package or not. 0.15Oz over the limit is not much of a deal.. Or is it?

It is against the forum rules to discuss ways to get one over on the government. But, that really depends on who the mod is on duty. Also, this forum tends to be in the top of a Google search list, so if someone gives a suggestion for bypassing your Customs, if they Google it, it would be very obvious.
My suggestion is to pay your taxes like a good citizen. Or, maybe private message someone about how they circumvent customs in you area. However, probably not every package is... you know... examined.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I cannot imagine ordering from SPc and paying overseas shipping just to get one measly little pouch.
Here's a hypothetical order for Canada. $6.95 for a pouch, $9.45 shipping with tracking, $16.45 total.
$16.45 US = $22.00 Cdn.
A pouch bought here locally is approximately $40.00
If the order is charged duty and taxes it will be no more than the local price plus $10.00 for Canada Post for collecting said duties and taxes..... :|

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The customs laws around the world all seem pretty draconian. Sometimes they aren't much enforced, or not closely, and sometimes they are enforced and punitive. I'd ask around to see what others have experienced, if possible. Bringing in modest quantities with tourist friends, or friends of friends, or by diplomatic pouch if you are so exaltedly connected, might work. If I were in your place, I might just adjust my consumption to the once or twice weekly bowl, if you can do that. If there are brands and blends available where you are, I'd also sample those and try mixing for variety. Sorry your leaf is needlessly (from our point of view) difficult to source.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
I'm not asking how to get over the fees..

Yes. On Smokingpipes.com there are many, many of tobaccos. I was not asking for tin tobacco, though, but bulk tobacco.

I'm gonna have to try it myself then :) I was just curious, because the fee is ridiculously high..

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@readix:Well, allow me to chime in, I think If You keep the ordered amounts very limited,say maximum 2oz,/or alternatively 1 pouch or one tin,You wouldn't have no problems with no Customs authorities in whatsoever Eu country, and smokingpipes.com does offer very affordable overseas shipping options like UPS SuperSaver but items shipped this way keep sometime to arrive, up to a month. or so.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Actually smokingpipes shipping fees are very reasonable even on small amounts. I occasionally buy only 1 tin (1.75oz) (for reasons you can imagine without spelling it out) and usually shipping cost is less than 50% of the cost of the tin, which I think is very reasonable. (my shipments are from the US into Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies.