PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Do you ever listen to the Allman Brothers while smoking? I do all the time, and their songs seem to greatly enhance the effect...what are your favorite Allman songs while smoking? My top five are
1. Pegasus

2. Ain't Wastin' Time No More

3. Revival

4. Ramblin' Man

5. Southbound
If you haven't tried it yet, you should...this is perhaps the greatest band in this genre (southern rock/blues) of all time.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Had a roommate in college that woke me every morning for a year to Statesboro Blues. Saw them live many times during summer of love in Atl. for free. It kept me from unrest and sure got the Southern women charged if you know what I mean.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny, these musical groups are so keyed to specific generations. I heard the Bros' a lot, but they came along after the anthems of my youth, so though I enjoyed 'em, they were incidental background and not elemental. Sometimes, I feel a little force-fed music. I love it deeply, but I don't want a never-ending soundtrack either. Sometimes I like to hear what I'm thinking, uninterrupted, just so I'll know .... Some of my local radio insistently interviews musicians who must do this to plug their albums, and some of the music isn't wonderful, and most of the musicians aren't talented talkers (why should they be?). So I try to listen to music selectively so the joy doesn't get drained away. I'm a yankee who married a Southern woman, lost to illness in her fifties, a brilliant and amazing person and life. Now married to a fellow midwesterner, from remote rural Missouri but who spent her working life in New York -- another super nova.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Grew up in the deep south. Southern women are soul sucking demons. After my 12 years of purgatory married to a true Southern Belle, I escaped and later married an Italian from DC. Guess what? They are all crazy. Choose your poison and smoke a pipe. My little Italian keeps me on my toes and so far hasn't tried to kill me. Which is a helluva lot more than I can say for my native Georgian.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Probably many hundreds of thousands of pipes were smoked at Allman Brothers concerts through the years. Perhaps one of those contained tobacco.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Ramblin' Man and Melissa are good calls.
Another album that I enjoy while mellowing out is Neil Young live at Massey Hall.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Pipe smoking + Harley Davidson + Allman Bros... What a good life!
Allman Bros. while smoking? What a great idea. That's definitely going to happen. Thanks for the idea.
Oh yeah, deep south for me. I even went one further and married a Cajun woman. Life is never dull.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Ok, here's my peripheral Allman Bros. story. After highschool I worked with Lamar Williams' (replaced Berry Oakley) brother, Kirby, who also was a bassist, but only played locally. Lamar and Kirby grew up in Gulfport, MS, as did I, and Jaimoe Johanson was from Ocean Springs MS which is right down the road. Jaimoe and Lamar were childhood friends. So, there you have it..... crickets chirping... :roll:

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
One of my all time Favorite bands! Listened to them from 71'up until Greg and Butch passed. I raise my Pipe to a Great Band!!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Love the Allman Brothers, in fact I'm listening right now. So far my IPOD has shuffled out Whipping Post, Melissa, Midnight Rider, One Way Out and Blue Sky, and Trouble No More is up next.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Around this time of year, I listen to ABB's "Christmas tune," (aka the last section of "You Don't Love Me" from At Fillmore East), "Joy To The World," while smoking a pipe my wife gave me, for Christmas, a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/_iKqLDF_eIw

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
"Well, you know you two guys, you do have to be man enough to handle a Southern woman". Nah, just stubborn, stupid, or both.
Some southern funk rock from Macon, GA, "Flirtin with Disaster" seems aptly appropriate! But, I am jamming to the Dixie Dregs tonight. Incredible musicians.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Love the Brothers. RIP Gregg.
Les Brers In A Minor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0H0Dmk3_M
Love this live performance of Melissa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggeab0lKz2c

Status
Not open for further replies.