PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No, I'll actually never get to say that. But as some of you may know, I started my in-class 7 week training session for Canadian National Railroad as a freight conductor, 7 weeks ago. Today I passed my final exam! The most nerve racking time off my life so far!

So I'm officially a conductor trainee! Off to start my orientation to begin my real work next Monday.
I know some people posted in my cob thread, that they had questions, or wanted to hear more about it, so without derailing (see what I did there?) that thread, I figure I'd start this one for inquiring minds.

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
Do they provide you with a train conductor hat, or do you have to buy one for yourself?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I am sure I'm wrong, but wouldn't you agree that conductors. . .conduct? I mean seven weeks of trying and then a big exam. . to conduct?
Oxford online defines conduct as:
1 Organize and carry out.
2 Lead or guide (someone) to or around a particular place.
1. So they taught you how to conduct a train. But trains are already put together in the appropriate cars, and the engine pulls, and you have nothing to do with either! How can one conduct something that's self-maintained? You neither have to organize the train nor aid it in carrying out its functions as a train.

2. N/A
Just wondering ha, ha.
(Congratulations!)

Jan 8, 2013
Do they provide you with a train conductor hat, or do you have to buy one for yourself?
Yes, I want to know this too. Because if you get a super cool train conductor hat, that would be awesome! And if so, you must take a photo of you in said hat with pipe in mouth.
Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
And now, for your enjoyment.....
conductor-costume-557212.jpg
:mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Congrats! I bet you'll conduct yourself well in that arena as you have here.
And thanks for keeping the threads on the track by starting a new one.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congratulations! That is too cool, I think everyone has dreamed of a job on a locomotive at one time or another.......... I know I have. This songs for you Didi............ :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piUWIqWSthA

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Hearty congrats on you career path! Keep us posted on your progress.
I have some ancestors who were railroad workers in the early 1900s.
This is the closest I ever got to doing that myself, a conductor at Disneyland =)
SsGgYaQ.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bravo didi. :clap: I too want to see you in that hat with your legendary Missouri Meer.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Congrats! I always thought it would be harder to get a train conductor job than to become a doctor. You seem to have found a sweet ride through life.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hahaha thanks guys!
1. No I don't get a hat...

2. No, I'm in charge of organizing the trains, in the order the cars get dropped off. My section, doesn't do passengers, only freight.

3. Now that campus training is over, I have to take at least 40-60 trips, before I "mark up", and become certified.

4. Pocket watches in my line will be too much, however I think it would be awesome. But watches are still a mandatory requirement. So yesterday I ordered myself a citizen eco drive, as a graduation present.

4. Hobo wrangling was the most difficult part. 80hrs of Bare knuckle brawls, knapsack slapping etc...it's rough :rofl:

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
1. No I don't get a hat...
How could they! The hat is the most important part of being a train conductor. Without it... you're just... just... a train?
Anyways! Congrats on everything, gotta go get a hat now, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.