PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'm about 3/4 through a tin of the venerable Yacht. I like it. I like the flavor and the smok ability, and of course I like the nic-hit.

The past 2 times I've smoked a bowl however, I've had tingling in my throat and chronic fits of sneezing.

Could be other atmospheric variables at work too, but it isn't happening with any other tobacco.
Anyone ever had a specific blend that aggravated your senses/allergies?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've just smoked some Black Irish XXX, Black Bogie and Black Pigtail (all ropes) and I can honestly say all three of them aggravated all of my senses!
Nasty, nasty tobacco that tastes of burning rubber...now where's that tin of Royal Yacht...
Regards,
Jay.

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Last time I had anything like that was when I was retrohaling and smoking EMP, caused my sinuses to feel like a headcold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jar your RY for now and try another blend and other blends and see if they cause any similar response. If you are allergic to RY, your problem should go away in a day or two. If it is tobacco in general, cease pipe smoking for a week or two, to see if that's it. This time of year, it could be seasonal pollen or other aspects of the environment. If the symptoms persist, you could go get an allergy panel and see what irritates you. mihailo, I recommend against retrohaling, if you can smoke happily without it.

dkaye201

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Since you're definitely allergic to that wicked RY, in order to save you from further reactions I suggest you send ALL OF YOUR ROYAL YACHT TO ME!!! I would never want a fellow member to be in discomfort!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The only other thing I can add to the venerable answers here is to possibly give it a little drying time in case it is the moist top flavoring that is causing the itchy throat. Hope it's something passing, because colds are no fun and everyone should be able to enjoy the sheer brilliance that is Royal Yacht.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've just smoked some Black Irish XXX, Black Bogie and Black Pigtail (all ropes) and I can honestly say all three of them aggravated all of my senses!
Nasty, nasty tobacco that tastes of burning rubber...now where's that tin of Royal Yacht...
Regards,
Jay.

Let them dry completely out to crispy after you slice them, and then try again, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If it has the slightest bit of moisture it has that gross motor oil burning rubber taste and smell, when it's crispy dry it's like charred steak.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Brian: if these symptoms are accompanied by a metallic taste in the mouth, which is associated with histamine release in some individuals, I would suspect an allergic response more so than an upper respiratory infection (URI). Though histamine is also released in response to URI's, the magnitude is greater & faster during an allergic response.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I actually did let the most recent bowl of RY dry out for a while before smoking.
I've had no abnormal side effects with any other tobacco this week or ever.

I'm going to wait a couple days and try another bowl of it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Also, this is dumb obvious stuff, but: switch pipes. It is possible there is some microbial frenemy living in your pipe stem.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Let them dry completely out to crispy after you slice them, and then try again, you'll be pleasantly surprised."
Andy, thanks for the tip, I shall do just that on the morrow.
To the OP, I think DM makes a good point in suggesting trying your RY in a different pipe. I have noticed massive differences with smoking a given blend in different pipes. I would also back the idea of giving the 'offending' pipe a thorough cleansing. Good luck chum :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.