All Your Pipes, Double Your Money; Would You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a sort of thought experiment (or game in the mind if you will). Someone has a list of all your pipes, and a professional appraisal of their value. He offers twice the money, but you must sell the whole set, every last one. The upside is that you would get to build a stable of pipes from the ground up, using everything you've learned over the years. The downside is, your whole pipe history and all of your favorites will be sold away forever. The deal is you can't chase them down and try to buy some of them back. The buyer would pre-sell and dispose of everything. So would you take the money and run, or preserve your stable and your personal history with your pipes?
I suspect that the value of my collection is low enough to refuse the offer even at double the money, but it would at least take me some time to think it over. How would you react?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Couldn't do it. No amount of money could get my Weavers as they were made personally for me, and are fantastic smokers. I once said ten Dunhills couldn't get one of them.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
My pipes are only tools which allow me to smoke tobacco. I currently have no connection to any of my 40+ pipes. I also do not own a unique pipe. More than half my pipes are cobs and they serve me well. I would gladly trade my 40+ pipes in order to purchase twice as many pipes. Although my wife already insist I have too many pipes. :lol:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My pipes are pretty old.I probably couldn't replace some of them even at double what I paid for them. I've got a few that I wouldn't buy again.Something different would be in order.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm with Sable... double my money? I'm rebuilding the collection.
While it is true that some pieces would be hard to find again, the hunt is as interesting as the collecting to me.
-- Pat

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
While my collection is somewhat small and low in value compared to most, and while I don't have many high end pipes; I enjoy the pipes I have and don't think I could bring myself to sell them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My used pipes? Double the appraised value wouldn't pay for replacements. Now if he included airfares, hotel, etc to Dublin, London and Chicago I'd probably go for it. There are three different shops I need to visit if I am to find a dozen or more smokers I'd like to own. To be honest, he could have the pipes free if he'd simply cover all of my expenses as I hunt for replacements.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

This topic, this thread tho......

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
In this market nobody would be foolish enough to offer me anything close to what I have paid for my collection but I was asked a few years ago in semi jest by a guy who I know could write me a check what he could buy it for.
The upside is that you would get to build a stable of pipes from the ground up, using everything you've learned over the years.
I sold a solid Dunhill collection 20 years ago to fund the collections I continue to build today. I got out a at a fairly high pre eBay point and came out about even. The only real profits I've made in this hobby are from the few high end Danish pipes I accumulated before they got hot years ago and tobacco. 8O

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I only have half a dozen pipes, none of which hold sentimental value or are irreplaceable, show me the money!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hmm. Tough call. Double appraised value would likely net me a profit. I dearly love my pipes though... but I could focus on artisan pipes though... but I have some odd quirky pipes that would be hard to replace... but I could find new quirky pipes... but I actually have (and dearly love) quite a few Charatans now and I can't touch them for what I paid for them even getting double for the ones I have... but I am a much more discerning shopper now...
Yeah. This just makes my ADD go apeshit. I have no clue what I would do. It would depend on the day and I would likely regret whichever action I took.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Couldn't do it, spent to much time putting to gather the collection of estates and the ones that were gifted to me are irreplaceable

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I'd have to think about it for awhile if there was an actual offer on the table but I think I'd probably end up selling. I've been seriously pipe smoking for about 5 years now and I've learned what my tastes in pipes are. So given the chance to start over I could build a collection more aligned to my preferences. Having said that I really like some of the pipes I own and I do have some attachment to them so it would be a tough choice.
This thread did remind me that it's time to sell off some of the pipes that live on the back of the rack.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Dear god men, is nothing sacred! Ah go on then, chuck in some st. Bruno & you got yourself a deal!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I would not do it.
I'd keep them. My pipes are not manifestations of money. Sure they cost money, and some are real shiners and some are duds, but they represent more than that. Some have come to me as gifts, some through trades and some are reckless eBay purchases. My pipes are not some trinkets or tchotchkes that I just grab from a rack, they represent a process. A process of learning and development that is more important than the knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.