PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Family and wife's Cemetery is now located in a bad area, Gov housing is near and inhabinants walk the street looking for a score and someone to score on. We have 5 graves to put flowers, I ease a small pistol in my back pocket and help wife with flowers thinking how disgusting this is to be thinking about that as you pray for your people. I take pictures, sending them to my children, every year one has to foot the bill for the flowers, I can foot the bill, but they must know how they got here, no free ride, really I'm training them for when my wife and I are gone. You don't have to have flowers, go see your departed ones. :crying:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Glad to hear about this Brad. I never saw folks do this much while living in other states, so maybe it's more of a southern thing. But at lest 4 times every year for the last 17 years my wife and I visit two different cemeteries where her relatives are at rest, and leave seasonal flowers at the graves. Her daddy was a Navy man so we make sure he gets a fresh flag at least once a year. Lots of folks do it as well because the cemeteries are loaded with flowers, crosses, birds, toys, flags and other items that meant something to the family member at rest there.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Good to see that somebody remembers tradition, beyond getting dressed up and going trick or treating ... or clubbing as youngsters seem to be keen on now days. In Romania we have a number of traditions that are meant to remember our ancestors. For example in the region where I live, Banat - a former Habsburg region, we visit the graveyard for the second day of Easter. Everybody meets in the cemetery with colored hard boiled eggs, cookies, cakes and plum brandy. Also, November 1st is our all saints day - or better yet the day of the dead, in catholic tradition regions. We place flowers and candles on the graves of our passed loved ones ... Modern times seem to be so hasty, everybody is rushing everywhere, that we hardly remember those who are no longer with us and to whom we owe so much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several years ago, my wife and I went back to her home place and drove her family around two counties visiting and decorating family graves. It was a tour of her family and the country. I have to travel out of state to visit my family burial ground, where the cemetery is so large, as my younger sister says, on a map it looks like a separate town.

Status
Not open for further replies.