Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
For all you good Catholics , not me, it's time to put new flowers on your loved ones grave. If you aren't Catholic , fall is such a pretty time for fresh flowers on their graves, don't you think. Just a reminder for love and respect on ones you lost.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I wonder how many non-Catholics know, let alone care, that Halloween, All Hallows Eve, is the day before All Saints Day. Or heck these days I wonder how many Catholics, lapsed or otherwise, know that.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Never hurts to pay respects to your ancestors at any time. We went last around Labor Day and will again at Christmas time. And I fly flags at 3 of them year around.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Shoot, I thought that all Saints day was the day the Saints won a game!

But I agree, it's a good time to put flowers on graves of out departed loved ones. My wife and I have quite a few to get to this year, but we usually do it around Christmas , and again at Easter. But honestly, anytime is a good time to do this! :clap:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Good Catholic here, I actually knew this as well as the Halloween/All Saints Day connection..Thanks for the reminder though.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I can never forget. My birthday.

My mom used to let me take the day off from school as long I went to church with her.

I will put some flowers on her grave.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
Or, in Chile, Dia de todos los Santos. And, in the south of Chile there is a long lake named El lago de todos los Santos . Named by Spanish priests on -- can you guess? -- Dia de todos los Santos. Where, four years ago, my wife and I were. By chance we were there on Dia de todos los Santos.
On a whim, we climbed up a steep trail leading up off a dirt road that led to the Argentine border. The trail had a small sign by it pointing up the side of the mountain to a cemetery. We were curious to see what kind of cemetery would be on a mountainside in a temperate rain forest in the middle of nowhere. When we got to the cemetery, we found a group of people cleaning the graves and cutting out the vegetation that had grown up around them. I have no idea where the people could have come from.
Neat.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
ka46zt.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a lovely thread.
As I grow older, sadly, there are more names to remember on All Saints' Day.
Like John, I'm grateful for the reminder, Mr. Bradley.
Fnord
P.S. Good to see you here again, Jim. I truly hope your oral situation has improved and those beautiful After Hours are getting a workout again.

F.

Status
Not open for further replies.