PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Hi all, Very strange thing happened....cant taste any of my tobaccos anymore.I don't mean that I cant pick out the subtle nuances of a particular blend. I mean I couldn't tell one from the other. Wondering if this has happened to any of you. The thing is, I don't have a stuffed up nose and I can taste food and coffee etc. All my pipes are clean and I don't have a cold. What the hell is going on ?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Have you changed your diet recently? Are you on any medications? The latter most certain can have a negative affect on your taste buds, re: smoking. If you are smoking one or two blend, it could be you've grown tired of them and they just doesn't work for you any more. That happens.
I don't know how long you've been smoking, but try a slow puffing cadence, and perhaps a switch in tobacco. If you smoke a lot, maybe your tongue is dulled by over work, lack of hydration or a palate cleanser. Drink ice water. Apples are great palate refreshers. Maybe one or more of my suggestions will help you out.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I don't understand.....
If you can pick out the nuances, how is it you can't tell one blend is different than another?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Clean your pipe very, very well. Spend extra time on the draft hole. I've had this happen, and seen people on Facebook forum say the same thing. They clean their pipe really, really well, and it all goes away.
Clean it using a high proof alcohol like Everclear. Keep scrubbing in the shank and draft hole until your pipe cleaners come out clean. It probably would be good to do an alcohol soak too.
Let you pipe/pipes dry out for a week and try smoking again, your taste will more than likely come back.
Also, mixes with a lot of Virginia don't have much flavor in cold weather.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You could possibly be getting a cold and you don’t even know it yet. I’m still getting over a cold and I couldn’t even taste Engine 99 this morning. Very frustrating, I feel your pain!

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Thanks all for the responses. Here's the thing...I was bouncing back and forth between two blends( DNR's and Three Nuns ) for the last week.I was getting nothing out of either one of them and it was driving me nuts. I had smoked both before and liked them very much. Very frustrated, I PM'ed a very knowledgeable and well known member. He brought to my attention that the tobacco might be too young. Sure enough I checked the dates on the tins and they are only three months old and in need for a bit of aging. As I'm typing this reply I'm smoking a bowl Pirate Kake and it is WONDERFUL... ALL IS AGAIN AS IT SHOULD BE !!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With 70% Latakia, if you couldn't taste that lat bomb, I would be worried. :mrgreen:

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Still shuold be able to taste baccy regardless of its age. Yes, many baccy's taste better with age, but as for aging them all before one smokes em, Na, I don't think so.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Sorry guys...I'm ready for the flame throwers, but I'm calling major BS on this.
Nothing about the original post or the "explanation" by the OP makes sense.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No flamethrowers needed. Most pipe tobacco is sold to be smoked as is. Aging is just a perk.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
No need for flamethrowers and there's no reason I would BS anybody about this.I have smoked tobacco's that were one month old and were fine. This was NOT the case here. I was not getting anything from the tin of DNR and I also believe at this point it needs a few months on it to smoke better...PERIOD !! Bassbug not sure where your going with this but there's no big conspiracy theory behind it.....That sorry guys but I'll handle this matter is the BS here !! Sit back smoke your pipe and SHUT-UP !!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@bassbug:
Hmm. Here's the seeming explanation:
I was bouncing back and forth between two blends ( DNR's and Three Nuns ) for the last week.I was getting nothing out of either one of them and it was driving me nuts.
Might have been a case of similar blends which, not being aged, had the sugar-cereal aspect of bright Virginias too far forward.
DNR (if this is the acronym as used) is a Va/Per, Three Nuns is a Va/Ke. These could be similar if they were smoked young and/or ghosting the pipe slightly.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I've had to deal with serious ghosting issues before. I only have two pipes and smoke them both frequently. After smoking a lot of my perique amended dottle, even Nightcap became unremarkable until a few bowls of it were burnt.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Ghosting sounds like a good theory....very interesting....that never dawned on me....

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sorry guys...I'm ready for the flame throwers, but I'm calling major BS on this.

Dude, really read the original post closely, it makes perfect sense.
I don't understand.....
If you can pick out the nuances, how is it you can't tell one blend is different than another?

He’s not saying that he can pick out the nuances! Again, read the OP very closely. He’s saying he’s not complaining about something so minor as not being able to pick up on the nuances what he’s saying is that, he can’t tastes the nuances at all but the even bigger problem is that he can’t taste tobacco at all! None! Zip! Ziltch! Zero!
Does that make more sense now? Understand where ya got lost but you got lost on your own accord, not the OP’s.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Reading the two sentences in order might help:
I don't mean that I cant pick out the subtle nuances of a particular blend. I mean I couldn't tell one from the other.
I don't mean x, I mean y. Good spotting hawky454.

Status
Not open for further replies.