PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hey guys,
All my pipes smoke hot, they smoke well, but the bowl is usually too hat to hold, so I have to let them cool down and then re-light.
What am I doing wrong, besides smoking them to hot :)
Thanks for your thoughts...
Todd

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sounds like you're puffing like a freight train. Just try to "sip" when you puff. A slower cadence reaps a cooler smoke, more flavor and doesn't burn out your pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The above is right on, but also dry your tobacco much more before loading. Even go beyond what you think is reasonable, and just see how that goes.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
The problem is, I just love the smoke, tastes wonderful and so relaxing.
Pipes to cigars I liken to fly fishn' vs. bass crank-bait.
I'll try to slow down even more...
Thanks!
Todd

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also try packing your tobacco a little more loosely. The draw should be similar to an empty pipe with only the slightest resistance.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
You will just have to keep smoking until you get it right I am afraid...on the bright side there is plenty of enjoyment to be had along the way!

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
mortonbriar, as we'd say in Marine artillery units, check, big check :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pack more loosely. Let the tobacco dry out until it is just shy of bone dry, dry to the touch when squeezed, but still pliant. Smoke slowly with slow sips. Puffing is for lighting up only. The flavor you're getting will be markedly improved when the blend is simmering at the edge of going out. Some burley blends offer up nice creamy clouds of smoke when smoked, but most Virginias and Va/Pers are mere wisps of smoke when smoked properly. And don't forget to snork to get all the flavor notes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This is pretty much just paraphrasing what the others have said, but the best pipe smoking advice I've ever received is as follows: If you think your tobacco is dry enough, dry it more. If you think you're packing loosely enough, pack looser. If you think you are smoking slow enough, smoke slower. That last one is by far the hardest!
Artillery, you say? I hear it lends much-needed dignity to what would otherwise be just a vulgar brawl. :wink:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Todd,
If you're a fly fisher, maybe this will resonate.
Think of the differences in casting a 9 ft 7 wt on big water for steelhead vs. a 6 foot 3 wt on a stream small enough to jump over.
That 9 ft 7 wt is going to need a slower cadence. That long loop simply takes longer to flatten out. Think of the 3 wt as your cigar that requires faster, shorter "puffs" and that long rod as your pipe. Slow and steady :)
Just like you've learned patience and timing for long casts, you need to do the same with pipes vs cigars

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Think of it more like Yoda and Luke Skywalker.....
You may now bow :rofl: :worship:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Todd I"m gonna talk to you in Cajun, get you a real good book, pack you pipe slow, but slide a big fluffy in shank and do the packing, easy on the first 1/3, firmer in the next 1/3, and a little harder on the next 1/3, you want a little bounce. The most important part is light it up and then forget about the damn pipe, read the book sipping like you've got a fine whiskey, feel it get warm, slow down, read some more, if you have to relight, the relight Police won't take you pipe away, I promise. There you got it from an old Cajun Codger who ain't too smart but has been smoking for over 60 years. PS the big fluffy created a little pocket , didn't tell you to remove it before lighting up, told I wasn't too smart. :puffy:

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
The Old Cajun,
I've been doing as you've said except for the part, "The most important part is light it up and then forget about the damn pipe, read the book... " I can't read :D naaah, I just enjoy the smoke sooo much, but I get your "forget about the damn pipe" point :)
Thanks guys!
Todd

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
LOLOL when I saw the thread title I expected at least one nonsensical admonition to dry the tobacco, and I was not disappointed :D One doesn't need to have a PhD in thermodynamics to comprehend that regardless if the tobacco is soggy wet or bone dry, the temperature of smoke as it enters the draught hole is hot enough to burn one's tongue. The place smoke cools is in the shank and stem. Unless the pipe has some cooling device like a Falcon, the only factor mitigating whether the smoke emerges hot enough to burn the tongue, is how long it takes for the smoke to reach the bit. Hence the longer the shank+stem and the slower the smoker draws, the cooler the smoke will be. That's why a churchwarden or a gourd calabash smokes the coolest of anything short of a water pipe.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
The OP was asking about the outside of the bowl getting too hot, not the smoke. I'll say it again, whatever else you do, getting a pipe with a thicker-walled bowl will help a lot.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The law of thermodynamics also includes the need for increased temperature to dry the wet tobacco enough to ignite; thus hotter chamber, often frequent relights. Less pleasant smoke, goop at the bottom. Thicker walls indeed make the pipe feel cooler, regardless of how well the tobacco combusts.
Moist tobacco is the single most prevalent cause of unpleasant smoking, or certainly less than optimal. It also causes some to not be able to finish a bowl and then complain about it. And then never experiment to see what it might do to improve things. And then post insulting remarks based on less than good understanding of the principles. Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.