PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
There once was a time when there were men who smoked their pipe all day. Seldom were they without it. That was when men could enjoy their pipes at work, in restaurants, etc. I remember back in the 70's and even up until the late 80's working at a hospital there were a few doctors (seems like it was mainly the pathologist and psychiatrist) that you seldom saw without their pipes. How times have changed. Now with all the restrictions on smoking few of us can enjoy our pipes all day. I believe that is one reason there are fewer and fewer pipe smokers. Smoking a pipe isn't like a cigarette or even a cigar. It takes time to acquire the art of filling, tamping, etc. and enjoying a pipe.
I was wondering if there are any guys on here that are still able to enjoy their pipes all day? I know I wish I could. There have even been mornings that I was very tempted to call out of work because I was relishing an esp. good bowl with my coffee.

Reactions: MtnGeo

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I don't smoke all day on a Monday or Tuesday as I have clinics in the hospital those days - I am neither a psychiatrist nor a pathologist! lol. Otherwise if I am not 'on service' and am at home (where I do a lot of research grant writing - and the pipe helps me concentrate!) I smoke all day, except when people are eating or there is a child in the room.
I am a 'sipper' - probably 6-9 bowls over a whole day.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I usually keep one going all day at work. Typically a Latakia heavy blend in the mornings. And either a VA or something sweeter in the afternoons. Rarely do I smoke at night.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I do smoke all day, but not a pipe unfortunately. :cry: My workshop is at home so can afford that luxury - but not being a clencher, I find it awkward smoking a pipe while working so resort to cigarettes. I recently met a pipe maker, who had a pipe hanging from his teeth constantly. I wish I could do the same.
I enjoy my pipes in the evening in the office when I get a chance to relax and will on average smoke 3-4 bowls every evening/night.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
In another age, I edited a small daily newspaper. I smoked all day, every day and put in some awesome hours putting out that newspaper.
Now, I'm lucky to get through a bowl a day. I would smoke all day, but that is hard to do with a wife who absolutely loathes my pipes and tobacco.
So, I am relegated to the outside on the deck. It is not covered, so in inclement weather, I am stuck. I've tried the garage, but find that just unacceptable.
Alas.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
The only time I get to smoke all day is on weekends when I'm out on the lake and even then I only get 6-7 bowls in.

~Ron

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke all day and get around 4-5 bowls a day in. I am basically retired so my time is my own. I smoke group 4-5 sized pipes and only flakes so I get 1.5 to 2.0 hours per bowl.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Monday through Friday its 5am to 5pm work days for me, with an hour lunch in the middle which I have a bowl during. Other than that if I am awake I would say 95% of the time I have a pipe going. Probably works out to about 5-8 bowls weekdays. Weekends It probably averages around 10 a day.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I own my own business also and can smoke when I want. Just have to limit it to my wife knowing. :worship:

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I smoke all day. I can step out and smoke whenever and I can smoke a whole bowl if I want. but usually I try to keep it around 20-30 min. probably between 4-6 bowls a day. I try to keep it modest during the day just in case the boss decides to say something about it. especially since 2 more of my guys picked pipe smoking. I don't think he would like it too much if 3 if us stepped outside for 30 minutes at a time

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I smoke an average of once a day, and that's more than I used to allow myself. I'm at college, so part of it is classes and studying. I am trying to get in the habit of taking my reading outside and smoking, which also helps me stay motivated to do the work. However, on the rare, rare days I spend mostly outside (like on a recent fraternity trip to Petoskey), I'll go through a few bowls.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I work from home so I am seldom without my pipe. I'm a clincher so smoking while I work goes well. When I do have to be out and about my pipe goes too. I enjoy smoking out in public and will do it anywhere it is legal. I normally have 12 - 14 bowls a day depending on bowl size.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm a writer, and unmarried, so I'll damn well smoke 10 bowls a day if I want to, and I usually do. I suppose this has something to do with being a former cigarette smoker, put a pipe is really a different experience altogether. I do confine my smoking to the study or outside when I want to watch the night weather. Am I a bad person for that?

Reactions: magnumsmoker

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I smoke,on an average, about 3 bowls a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I never smoked all day even when it was easier to do - I never even considered doing so. The fact that I never smoked cigs might have something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.