PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
Hello ya'll. I am so new to pipe smoking. I have one cheap briar I purchased from a local tobacco shop. I really enjoy the pipe but I am looking for a daily carry pocket pipe. I would like a shorter pipe and it will have multiple bowls of baccy through it during the day. Needs to be fairly inexpensive so if it is broken or lost I won't be too broken hearted. So, would you recommend a cobb, a briar, or maybe even a Mr. Brog? Mr. Brog has some killer looking pipes. Not sure how the pear would hold up to lotsa use though. I have thoroughly enjoyed perusing this forum and look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks a lot!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I think any cob made by Missouri Meerschaum will serve your purpose well. They don't really need as much rest as some briars and between $6 to $15 it's not gonna break the bank or bring you to tears if it breaks. The upside is they all smoke well and are very light weight. I have heard good things about Mr. Brog both quality and customer service but I don't own one so I can't say it's the best for an all day smoker.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I would have to agree with Tucker. At most I only want to smoke one briar twice in a day. I prefer to smoke it only once. I can load up a cob and smoke one bowl after the other. On another note, Mr. Brog is cheap enough to maybe buy two or three for all day smoking. Of course if you want something to throw in a pocket. Three pipes may be a bit much. Welcome to the forums!

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
+1 on the cobs. I bought a grab bag about 6 months ago for the sake of having travel pipes. They fill that niche wonderfully, and I even find myself smoking them at home as frequently or more than I do my briars. They smoke fabulously, are feather light, and dirt cheap. You can't go wrong.
For the record, my absolute favorite Missouri Meerschaum is the unfinished one. Missouri Pride, I believe. Seems to hold less heat than the plaster-finished models. Plus it's a neat texture for gripping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Vamike, cobs are great; I have several. However, if you'd like something else, and Mr. Brogs don't

appeal to you that much, I recommend Iwan Ries Exclusives, house pipes distributed by iwanries.com,

and mostly made by Benton pipes of Texas. They have the perfect bent billiard compact pipe for

around $36, that holds enough tobacco for a 30 minute smoke and takes a pipe cleaner all the way

to the bowl, as few bent pipes do, in my experience. You can look at their whole selection. Others

may appeal to you, in addition or instead of. Also check out their Hardcastle pipes; some of those

are $40. If you want to break the bank at $50, there are quite a few good pipes available at various

online sites -- unfinished Savenellis at Cup O Joes for $44 to $48 bucks, and so forth. Quite a few

others if you look around. Nording makes an inexpensive line of pipes that is extremely well

engineered and looks nice too. Shop a little and you'll find these and plenty more. Just don't

accumulate too many before you save for something higher level (if that's what you'd like

eventually).

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I added a copy of the Missouri Meerschaum Eaton's to my last order from MM and they are my go to travel/mowing/walk-around pipe. I'm going to order another 1/2 dz or so and leave one in both trucks, edc bag, etc..

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I'll throw in one of my two cents for Mr. Brog. Their No. 19 Dublin is about the size of a featherweight and one of my current favorite pipes. It does great in the pocket and mine has been in my pocket several times. It's also lightweight and a nice smoker.
My other cent is for my other favorite pipe, an MM Ozark Mountain Hardwood. Its also a great smoker, super-cheap (about $6), and travels great. There is a definite break-in period though cause of the stain in the bowl - took me about 4 bowls to get rid of the mushroom taste. I intially went sans medio filter with it, but I've found I actually perfer it with a filter (who knew?).
Both great, inexpensive, pocketable, and loved pipes.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
While I do love a MM I don't consider them really pocketable. so I'll recommend shorty mini pipes that you can find on Pipes & Cigars. I have the smooth but I can't imagine the other two finishes smoke much different. They're only $15 so losing it or it breaking isn't a total loss.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
also consider a small meerschaum lined briar, you'll not need as much resting and many come with stems that screw into the shank so you don't have to worry about damaging it when you "deconstruct it" and stuff it in your pocket.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
You might want to consider a Big Ben Ranger. They're about 4" long and are tough little pipes. Capable of multiple bowls. You'll find them used on EBay usually for around $55 or so. Real pocket pipe.
IMAG1832-1.jpg

youngpiper1

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
MM cob all the way, although you may want to keep it in a pouch, if you pocket it, it may break, although if you bought one of their hardwoods, it would last good in the pocket

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
oklansas, I've always liked the look of the Roley, but I heard they don't smoke very well.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
If you can find a Grabow Bucko or a Yellobowl Pug,MM Pony and I noticed Pipes&cigars also has some nice little pocket pipes $15.00 up to around 45.00.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a Brebbia Go-Go. I got one as an estate and it was beat to crap but it still smokes ok. Still not sure about trying to put multiple bowls through a briar every day without rotating though.

Status
Not open for further replies.