PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you could only smoke Meerschaum, corn cob pipes, or briars, which would you choose, and more importantly why? I'd guess briars would be in the majority, but don't hesitate to choose them and give reasons why, or of course meers or cobs. If you'd make a different choice, clay or morta, stawberry or olivewood, that's okay too. But the big three are what I'm most expecting.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Morta, since it cools quickly and smokes wonderfully, is generally lighter in weight and once broken in the tobacco flavor profile sings. If there were ever the perfect pipe to assist a new pipester in proper puffing it would be Morta.

banjo

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
My best pipes over 45 years can be counted on one hand. The Light Fingered Five Minus Two (Rocky and Bullwinkle Reference) 1) Meerschaum, about 15 YO now and still delivers, though the stem is not as good as vintage meers. Tinder Box purchase, a unique coloring now.

2) Meershaum lined briar, very big bowl. Straight. I dream about finding it again.

3) A corn cob that I broke in to perfection.
3) gave a more raw smoke, but I marveled at how well it did for me. Working on a new one now.
I just can't do it fellas. I am breaking down over this decision! What would Sinatra or Der Bingle do? Meerschaum lined, I guess. No, wait!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I definitely like the looks of briar more than cobs. They get points for that. I agree with Didimod on all the other factors, though.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As of late I've been smoking my Meerschaum pipes 95% of the time, and have been adding to my collection. I came to the conclusion a few months back that if I could only smoke my Meerschaum pipes then I would be perfectly fine with that. So my answer to the question is Meerschaum. I love the way they smoke, and love the fact that I can smoke the same pipe day after day if I so choose.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
For me, all meerschaums. I love the coloring process, and I love how they smoke. I've been exclusively a meerschaum smoker for more than 20 years.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Posted by didimauw: Cobs. They smoke drier than my briars, cost less, require less maintenance, and just plain taste better.
This is the answer for me. I've been smoking a pipe for 50 yrs and if I could turn back the clock I would smoke nothing but cobs. I would have sunk the savings into tobacco and accessories.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have seven cobs, about ten percent of my stable, and as smokers they're hard to beat.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Briar. I wish I understood the cob love. They just feel cheap and don't make me feel like something I could ONLY smoke forever.

seitz55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I absolutely love my briar (wish I could afford more than one though) but my Missouri Meerschaum is one hell of a pipe and affordable too.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
... I would smoke nothing but cobs. I would have sunk the savings into tobacco and accessories.
I was going to say Meers, but the above is incredibly hard to argue against.

Status
Not open for further replies.