Alfred Jerrod Nathan, Tobacconist - Maybe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

I paid a bit more for these than I will admit to my good lady, but, they grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go.
AJN Cased Pair
I've dated 'em to 1908, for sure. Also, I did a bit of a root around the web and came up with Alfred Jerrod Nathan, a tobacconist, as a possibility for the initials, but I have my doubts. The site I used has the initials in an oval, not a rectangle. I also came across a Henry Jerrod Nathan, Hairdresser and Tobacconist!!!
Can anyone cast any light on them?
This will be my first cased pair, so I'm a little excited. Also, they are shapes I really adore. I think they'll clean up nicely - though I think I may need to get another bottle of whiskey and a half dozen packets of cleaners and Q-tips ;-)
Any insights would be very much appreciated.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I can shed a little, but not an immense amount, of light on the “tobacconist” you mention.
First off let me say I agree with your identification of the hallmark, and its ascription to Alfred Jerrold-Nathan (note that there’s an l in the name; the Jerrod on the silver hallmark website you mention is either a typo or a mistake; note also that there should be a hyphen between the two last names). At any rate I don’t have a better candidate!
The Nathan family, Jews of Portuguese origin, came to Holland before 1750 and later emigrated to England sometime in the first quarter of the 19th century. Alfred's grandfather, Philip Joseph Nathan, was part of a small wave of Nathans that came over from Amsterdam in the early 1800s. He was certainly in England by 1825, for in that year he married Esther Lear in London. Philip (1786-1876) & Esther (1799-1870) had four daughters and a son; it's the latter, named Joseph (1829-1907), that continues the story. While Philip is generally referred to as a "general dealer", a merchant of some unspecified kind, his son Joseph is more clearly identified with the tobacco trade, being usually labelled as a "cigar maker" in census records of the time. The supposition is that Joseph was following his father’s trade, or something closely related to it; that would certainly make sense but I can’t prove that it was so.
Joseph (1829-1907) married Sarah Cohen (1833-1907) in 1854, and eventually they produced some 11 children together. Even given the desire to make up for losses due to high infant mortality I admire the stamina and persistence of Victorian parents. Admire, but have no desire to emulate; my wife and I have three kids and it’s all I can do to stay sane. At any rate the child of Joseph’s and Sarah’s marriage that matters for our purposes is Alfred Joseph (1859-1946). With his arrival we’ve finally reached the star of the show.
By 1881 Alfred, aged 22, is already listed as a “fancy goods dealer” (synonymous with the sale of pipes and other tobacco paraphernalia), as is an older brother named Philip. Later censuses offer similar occupations: in 1891 Alfred’s a “merchant in tobacconists’ goods”, and in 1901 he’s a dealer in “tobacconists’ sundries”, but by 1911 he’s become an “importer/exporter of general goods”. To me this more general appellation suggests an expansion of activity, and corresponding financial success. Not coincidentally, I suspect, around this time Alfred achieves conspicuous social prominence, becoming an alderman, and ultimately, chairman of the city corporation of London about 1911. Along with this comes a distinctly British pretension, the adoption of a double-barreled name. At what point he began to use Jerrold instead of Joseph is obscure; certainly he was fastening it as a middle name onto most of his kids in the 1880s and 1890s. As far as I can tell Jerrold wasn't a family name; I would offer a guess, but it’s only that, that Jerrold is an Anglicization of Joseph made for effect and to underscore the assimilation most Jewish families of the time pursued. But I couldn’t be sure without more digging. Likewise it’s unclear exactly when the hyphen appeared, but it was certainly in place by the first decade of the 20th century.
The earliest mention I found of Alfred acting independently was in 1891, when Alfred Jerrold Nathan & Co. was listed as a dealer in tobacconists’ sundries at 13 King William Street; he remained at that location at least through 1895, but by 1899 had moved to 17 Farringdon Avenue. Alfred stayed on Farringdon for about a decade, then moved again in 1908 to 24 New Bridge Street. There he apparently remained for the rest of his career. So your pipes could have been sold when the business was located at either the Farringdon or the New Bridge address (I would think the former, but can’t be sure). The last listing for the company is in the April 1927 London phone book; by the October edition of that same year it disappeared, never to return. By then, of course, Alfred would have been about 68 years old.
Based on references in the various directories I believe that at the time your pipes were made (or at any rate hallmarked) Alfred Jerrold-Nathan & Co. was largely an importer. It is a guess, but only that, that the pipes were made overseas, probably in St Claude. By 1908 if they had been made domestically I think they would have been stamped “Made in London” or something similar to capitalize on the cachet associated with London pipes.
Lastly, and most importantly, they're a beautiful cased set; I hope they give you many years of pleasure!

K

klause

I've just finished re-reading this and I'm still at a bit of a loss for words. What does a fella say to that?
Jon, thank you, very, very much. That is really quite astonishing, almost staggering. Erm', actually, that is staggering - absolutely. I am in awe of your knowledge, diligence, research skills and enthusiasm. Also your willingness to share the fruits of your labours. I REALLY appreciate it.
You manage to make these pipes so much more special, more interesting, and, dare I say, more mysterious with what you dig up about them and the people involved in their early existence. I say mysterious, as your knowledge makes me think more deeply about these pipes, and others you've commented on, mulling over what they meant to their owners, how they played a role in the prosperity of the tobacconist that ordered them. In fact I see a little more clearly, because you give it an immediacy and intimacy that I never had before in relation to these beauties, the genesis of the story of them.
I hear the click of the walking stick on the pavement, the hubbub of voices in the street, the horse drawn omnibuses, the rare and intrusive rackety automobile winding its way through the throng, the ring of the bell on the shop door as the customer enters, the cordial greetings and conversation - then, the selection and 'fitting' of the pipe or pipes, the exchange of shillings and pennies, to be followed by the jaunty walk down the street, smiling at the thoughts of the newly acquired treasures and the pleasures to come. The shop keeper, Alfred, returning to his trade, happy in the knowledge he has another satisfied customer - perhaps a regular!
Now, more than I was, I am excited to actually receive and hold these pipes. Especially the bulldog - I think that pipe is going to hold so much residual energy that it will knock me off my feet - just looking at it I can see why it was well loved - there is a life and a joy leaping out of that pipe - a zest, a desire to elevate the smoker to new worlds of joy and happiness.
Blimey! I am the 'next' in a line of people fortunate enough, lucky enough, to get to hold, smoke, enjoy and treasure these pipes. And, Jon, you have just made thaT experience so much more than it was, or could have been.
Again, thank you., very, very much.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can picture the original owner of that set smoking one, while nervously huddled up to the radio listening to news about the onset of World War I and later, the ending of that horrible war.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Klause, I'm glad you enjoyed it. They're beautiful pipes, and you paint a terrific word-picture of the mid-Edwardian scene when they were first sold. Did you know only a decade or so earlier the "rackety automobiles" you mention were such novelties that there were "red flag laws" in England, requiring that they be preceded by pedestrians waving a red flag? Sometimes I think it might be a good idea to reinstate that requirement today, at least here in NJ.
Unfortunately Alfred Jerrold-Nathan was one of the many people/companies in the trade that I previously knew nothing about. It was a thriving industry, with many, many participants large & small. I often have a small file started that I can build upon, but these guys were entirely new to me! Still I think the foregoing is substantially correct, although I'm sure there are omissions and corrections that would improve the story greatly.
As for WW1, Al, I think it more likely the owner was either sitting by his hearth smoking and reading the news in a paper, huddled over a pint in a pub, or standing among the massed crowds in a public place like Trafalgar. News broadcasts in England (and just about everywhere else) were a post-war phenomenon, with commercial radio starting in the early twenties. The technology just wasn't there before that. There were radios used for communication, of course, as part of the actual war effort, but that was something else.

K

klause

Jon, if that's really what you call a small amount of information, I'd love to see your other files. It's a fantastic amount to my mind, shining a bright light onto the past.
Yep! While I was replying I was thinking of the old cars, and the red flag man, the driver wrapped in their driving jackets, googles, etc.
The pipes arrived today, but, unfortunately, and much to my extreme disappointment, the bulldog has a split bowl. I cannot adequately express how annoying and disappointing this is for me.
I would like to say, C'est la vie, but.........I can't.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
A beautiful history for a beautiful set of pipes. Klause, these pipes were made to be enjoyed, and I wish you many happy years smoking them. Not too many guys can boast of a set of pipes that are in their second century. Let's see where destiny takes them as they continue to provide pleasure for another generation of ssmokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.