Tags:   

Aleister Crowley Pipes

(88 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pipeman7
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Here is a new thread that doesn't break the rules. Has anyone been able to identify any of the pipes Crowley was photographed smoking? I believe the one from Hastings is a very large Dunhill but i'm not positive

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

3. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aleister Crawly ... that was such a messed up individual that people hardly noticed he smoked a pipe ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He as we all have have complex lives and while he had some odd aspects in his history/life he was a great poet and mountaineer.
    He was a master of yoga as well.
    Read his biography before casting stones.
    I have used his tarot cards for 30 years.
    One persons odd is anothers normal.
    Sometimes we are only remembered by one thing we do and the other parts are forgotten.
    His chair was sold for a fortune, would love one of his pipes.
    Sadly he died old and pennyless. Pipes long gone!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have used his tarot cards for 30 years.

Book of Thoth? I've used Karen Kuykendal's deck for years, but have the Thoth deck in my collection.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I favor the Thoth deck.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I liked the heavy metal song about Crowley sung by Ozzy ..... Mr. Crowley what went on in your head?

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I believe the Simon Iff stories to be swell. Certain Keys began to unlock when appliying the Holy Qabalah to them.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can someone PM me with a reason why the other thread broke the rules?

I bet if you look, you can find his pipes. He had notoriety, if not wealth all through his life. I'm sure a collector has one or two out there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Crowley... I've seen his deck, very... interesting. He was the William S. Burroughs of the Occult. I heard he died a junkie, but I wasn't there. He fostered in an era that is still playing out, and may continue indefinitely.

Oh yeah, swell pipe he has there.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I liked the heavy metal song about Crowley sung by Ozzy ..... Mr. Crowley what went on in your head?
    Personally, I always liked the guitar solo as played by the late great Randy Rhodes on that song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trxFJsjqnK4

Wish I could find a better quality video though.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Something from ebay 14 years ago

Chalk drawing

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Can someone PM me with a reason why the other thread broke the rules?

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM one of the Mods.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent music by Black Sabbath, thanks for the link.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

oldmansmoking I have read a few biographies of his, and watched some documentaries. The individual ... not my cup of tea, in my opinion he was a lunatic in search of attention. The older he got, the more nutty he became. He is definitely not a reference I would easily use when talking about esoteric topics, or at least not a positive one. Severe drug abuse, filled his teeth to seem like he is a vampire, orgies, blood rituals ... yeah, doesn't sound that sane to me. As far as writing goes, there are so many better occult/esoteric philosophers (neo-theosophical or not)contemporary to his time that it almost makes him look like a bad joke. Charles Leadbeater, Rene Guenon, Rudolf Steiner, are just a few names that come to mind ...

Mountaineer, yoga ... yes, sure, I don not contradict you, but that's not what he wanted to be remembered for. Please do not take this as disrespect towards your opinion, it's just my personal view on the topic ...

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

any ideas on this one from 1934?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No problem we are all intitled to our own views and points on things.
    I learned something new as I did not know he smoked a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Apparently he was partial to rum soaked Perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't know he did either.

The pipes in the pictures look very 'Dunhill'.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Therion was a Genius. He let stories build upon themselves and threw wood on the fire to stoke the flames even more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was an age when Bayer (the company that now makes children's aspirin) made heroine sold in every grocers.

Cocaine was given to children...

They even put cocaine into the soda pop sold to kids.
    Turn of the century WW1 left Europe mostly atheistic, or looking for something more than the false promises of their parents that led them to the greatest war in all of mankind. Even before WW1, much of Europe was dehumanizing people in the industrial revolution.

Crowley was just one of many travelling magicians of the era, however we remember his name because of his own self-promotion. Was he really crazy? Or, was he just pretending to get more and more popular? There is no difference. Acting crazy is a form of craziness, but people are attracted to that, and it worked. We still remember who he is. He was also well known for his pipe smoking. It was just as much a part of him as being crazy.

I do not revere the man. But, I also don't despise him. I only learned as much as I do about because of the many references to him in the pipe community. GLP's Haddo's Delight, for instance is a homage to a autobiography that was probably just more exaggerations.
    This was an age where Lovecraft fandom started. Cannibalism was reported in many Germanic cities, starvation, many parts of the world were a living Hell. Drugs didn't have the same stigma that they did in the hippie dippie generations. Occults and charlatans were everywhere trying to fill that void in the European soul after WW1. This was all just before a true living nightmare would occur known as WW2.
    Look to Munch's Scream as a symbol of the times.

I believe, if I am not confused, and that's always a possibility. That he was a Dunhill man, to answer the OP.

I don't judge the man as much as I despise that era in history. Many of us romanticize the era of Sherlock Holmes, but this was also the age of Jack the Ripper. It would be my least likely era to ever visit, if I were given a time machine.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

If you want to see something really scary, Google Bayer+AIDS.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually 1880s Victorian London would be highly amusing assuming your time machine contained a supply of decent antibiotics. There are several bracing restaurants I would love to visit, most of the tobacconists I would know or recognize. With a copy of the 1895 London Stock Exchange Almanac and next years Racing News I am sure 1887 London could be an absolute riot for the intrepid time traveller with a decent cutty pipe and an eye on the future!

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be fun if we happen to be in the class of the top 5%. Otherwise, we'd be scooped up immediately and probably hustled on off to serve aboard a ship where we would probably die in a couple of years, or hustled into the factories where were worked non-stop seven days a week till we dropped. The likelihood that we would be able to walk into a tobacconist and buy a pipe is fleeting. We'd most likely fall into the category of having the life sucked out of us in unspeakable horrors, in comparison to our spoiled lifestyles of today.
    Jus sayin'

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That^

Crowley was very intelligent, and a great mountaineer who just happened to dive off into all the business he is famous for now. But that business, for me, makes me wonder:

Now either he IS a figure of religious/metaphysical import, or he ISN'T.

If he is, then that should be recognized beyond his card decks and then weighed against other religions/metaphysical paths.

If he isn't, then he was just a sex addict who ran the table with whomever he could get his hands on under the guise of 'magick' using a l o t of narcotics.

I saw one of his decks go through an estate sale we ran about 6 months ago. It sold for $40, I think. I did some minor digging at the time, because he was fairly notorious, and I did not know much about him. My conclusions:

If he 'is': eww, not for me, but you all are welcome to him.
    If he 'isn't': I covered that above.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For all the talk about the Thoth deck, surprised no one has mentioned the Book. The Book of Thoth is (by far) the best book written on the Tarot. Probably the easiest to understand as well. Crowley wrote in code so much that his works are pretty much useless to the uninitiated. For instance he claimed children to be the best sacrifice. He was talking about semen not actual children. This was all done to make the layman run in fear. His biggest downfall was his addiction to herion. I also believe he became to wrapped up in Thelema as a religion instead of a personal experience which it was. Crowley truly took the basics and developed his own Personal Magickal style. Which is what you're supposed to do. Whether it works for anyone else, well that's for the individual to decide, I highly recommend Stephen Skinner, Poke Runyon, Franz Bardon, and LeCron. Study Crowley's work only as an example.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Look to Munch's Scream as a symbol of the times."

The last iteration of Munch's "the Scream" was completed in 1910. Whatever put the burr under his psychological saddle had nothing to do with WWI, as that war did not break out until 1914.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, If you haven't read Crowley's Authagiography I suggest you do. I've read it serval times, once traveling through Europe. It's really an amazing read. Every volume was dictated. Richard Kaczynski'S Perdurabo was almost as good.

The name Haddo, comes from Maugham's The Magician. The evil Oliver Haddo was a caricature of Crowley.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last iteration of Munch's "the Scream" was completed in 1910. Whatever put the burr under his psychological saddle had nothing to do with WWI, as that war did not break out until 1914.

I should have been more clear, the times “including WW1,” Not just the influences of WW1. The industrialization of the znorthern Germanic countries were a huge influence on Munch. Reports of canibalism and political famines pre-date WW1.

Thanks Perdurabo, if I ever get the urge, I’ll keep it in mind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perdurabo, it seems like I ran across something that linked Maugham and Crowley, suggesting he gave him the story, or wrote it himself. I didn’t go any deeper than looking up the references given by Wikipedia, but I did scan what was easily available online.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aldecaker I have read an account of Munch actually painting the work in an attempt to depict the implications of a volcano eruption in Indonesia in 1883.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

I had "Magick" when I was quite young and interested in such things. I read "Diary Of A Drug Fiend" numerous times when I was a little older older and, well, a drug fiend. Long times ago.

This was an age where Lovecraft fandom started.

Now *Lovecraft*...

“I am Robert Blake, but I see the tower in the dark. There is a monstrous odour . . . senses transfigured . . . boarding at that tower window cracking and giving way. . . . Iä . . . ngai . . . ygg. . . .

“I see it—coming here—hell-wind—titan blur—black wings—Yog-Sothoth save me—the three-lobed burning eye. . . .”

What's not to love.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Among the many stories/rumors/legends/myths surrounding Crowley is that he allegedly had an affair with Pauline Pierce, mother of Barbara Bush, around the time Barbara was conceived. You gotta admit, there is a resemblance.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old people look alike. Then again he may have Brian.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Then again he may have Brian

nice!

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A fascinating but seldom mentioned Crowley connection is that of Jack Parsons, co-founder of JPL and leading disciple of Crowley (also involving Parson's dealings with L. Ron Hubbard).

Stories like this are among the best examples of why truth is much stranger than fiction:

Sex and Rockets

https://www.salon.com/2000/02/15/parsons_3/

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Supposedly, the reason that Parsons chose to locate JPL on a hillside was to promote the level of physical fitness he felt was needed to carry out his orgiastic gymnastics. Don't know if that's true, but I can attest to the campus providing a healthy dose of aerobic activity from my many visits there.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Turn of the century WW1 left Europe mostly atheistic, or looking for something more than the false promises of their parents that led them to the greatest war in all of mankind. Even before WW1, much of Europe was dehumanizing people in the industrial revolution.

...Occults and charlatans were everywhere trying to fill that void in the European soul after WW1. This was all just before a true living nightmare would occur known as WW2.
    Look to Munch's Scream as a symbol of the times.

Profound. Most people forget how much of a death spiral Western Civilization has been experiencing for the past two centuries.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Western Civilization has been trying to kill itself for the past one hundred years. I can safely say that the past ten years has put it on a collision course with this endeavor. So smoke your pipe and enjoy what's left of our degenerating civilization. The programmed destruction of family and patriotic values replaced by nihilistic and materialistic globalism will ensure an Orwellian world in the short to middle term.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In that light, Crowley (and others, like Anton Long) are not as bad as we thought?

Lights up rum-soaked Perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I think that he was the epitome of what I am denouncing at an individual level. A civilization is the sum of it's individuals and the fact that a lot of what he preached is put to the forefront to be practiced by the masses today, shows where this is heading.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Oooooh! I love where this discussion is moving. Please pause while I slip on my hair shirt over my latex pleasure suit so that I can appreciate the full effect. Okay, so Western Civilization is committing suicide? And this is news? Do you think the other surviving species will hold a mass worldwide celebration when we become extinct?

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see everybody doing what Crowley did. Yea you have drugs.....but no one uses them as say how Crowley and Native Americans used them. It's all recreational 100% of the time. Crowley was against Abortion. He was a Patriot to his own country, he worked for British Secret Service. He elevated the individual above the herd. I really don't get where he is the origin of the Fall of Western Civilization. He was against Christianity for all the right reasons, he was born into a very strict fundamental Christian sect. Ill give you that, but Christianity isn't a key to Western Civilization. Natural Law is, and it comes to us from the Heremtica, Jewish Law, and Greek thought, as well as human experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

You bet. While we love everybody, they hate and envy our guts, that makes them normal actually. The celebration will be short lived however as they will have to create their own "western" civilization.

On another note, I hope you have a pipe and tobacco to match that hair shirt/pleasure suit combo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

On another note, I hope you have a pipe and tobacco to match that hair shirt/pleasure suit combo.

Latex doesn't taste good when it's burning, and people objected to the smell. The hairy pipe was quite a sensation so I've convinced Peterson to come out with a "hair shirt" series early next year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

You have more drugs for more people and that has consequences, docility and relativization of thought comes to mind. By the time he was against Christianity, it was already going down and I would say for the wrong reasons at that point.

Being against Christianity, especially in Western Europe, Canada, has become the sine qua non condition for being, what the power that be decided, enlightened. I would never trust anyone who works for any secret service, they are a special kind of breed.

As for Natural Law, I would stop at Ancient Greek thought that was somehow taken over by the Roman empire and then transcended willingly or not into Christianity, itself a bastard monotheistic religion. This process took centuries and religious wars. Also, for better or worse we owe a lot to 19th century philosophers that in my view made a Faustian pact with the unknown. God isn't that easily replaceable in the context of civilization. The alternative has been less than perfect as it requires an all out education of the individual by himself and for himself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

[quote]Latex doesn't taste good when it's burning, and people objected to the smell. The hairy pipe was quite a sensation so I've convinced Peterson to come out with a "hair shirt" series early next year.

Peterson...oh well, I hope you have a solid bank account. Their so called top of the line could bankrupt emerging countries without breaking a sweat. As for pipe series, you sir are a real capitalist! It could even save Peterson from financial hardships in the future.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We owe a lot to The Enlightenment. Our Country took the path of Locke and Montesquieu (Hermetic Philosophers) where Europe followed Rousseau and his ilk (Progressivist). Sorry, Crowley was part of the Enlightment camp. Go find another scapegoat. Sounds like a lot of circles.

As far as Crowley's pipes, I'd start with Jimmy Page. He probably has a few. No need to close a thread over rants.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just to help me follow the conversation, what are we using as the high water mark of western civilization?

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't a clue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What does Western Society have to do with Crowley, his thoughts and his pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know. Like I say, I was just trying to follow the conversation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Free Market. Buy a Peterson or a cob.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i don't think Iwas following it to closely, I just didn't understand the Crowley/down fall of Western Society rant.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Just to help me follow the conversation, what are we using as the high water mark of western civilization?

I would recommend the Freddy The Detective series by Walter R Brooks, IIRC. I had been translating Plato's The Republic from the archaic Greek into English and was finding it a tedious process, which shouldn't be a big surprise, as I was 8 at the time. Then, on a visit to the local library with my mother, I found the Freddy books, and all became right with the world. So the high water mark is definitely the Freddy The Detective series. The ceiling of the Sistine isn't bad either.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Crowley was more showman than shaman.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thinking more of a date, actually.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Not a scapegoat but a product of his century and a failure at that, a drug addict and sexually obsessed narcissist that died destitute. As for him smoking a pipe, I think it was the least of his worries. But I agree that anybody who sees him as a mentor, example or appreciates his character would be thrilled to be in the possession of one or more of his pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some may say it was 2008.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Perhaps 1940.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I was thinking more of a date, actually.

42. The answer is always 42.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jDcWAWRRHo

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You ask a serious question one time...

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, good luck with that! Most of this thread was over my head.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You ask a serious question one time...

I assure you I'm quite serious. Everything I know of high culture I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If Western Civilization is in decline, it must have had a zenith from which to decline. I simply wonder when that was.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

If Western Civilization is in decline, it must have had a zenith from which to decline.

The day before smart phones were introduced.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a likely scenario.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I'm starting to think that all of the great civilizations moved towards a point of enlightenment, and then someone dropped a smart phone on them. The rest is history.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash, cossackjack