PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi, is anyone familiar with this Italian maker? I found this pipe on Ebay. Seller is in China, but has perfect rating. Asking $79 shipped or best offer. I was going to offer $65 shipped. I'm specifically looking for a Churchwarden with a filter. Need to try to keep excess smoke away since my nose burners and my clenching caused me to puff excessively and inhale my second hand smoke. This caused my asthma to act up. My lungs/bronchial are now clear and I'm hoping this will do the trick. Thanks

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I purchased an estate Aldo Velani through Briar Blues that I really like. IMHO, they are a good value for the price.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Yep China. He has 190 all positive feedbacks since 2012 though. Ah, just looked at delivery time. It can take up to six weeks! I think I'll try a low ball offer of $50 Shipped. Thanks

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have an older AV that I got as an estate and it smokes great. I bought 2 in the last year based on that recommendation and they were just 'ok'.
I don't do business with China where pipes are concerned. Hope it works out for you, though.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I own 2 Aldo Velanis. I am not that experienced, but for what it's worth, I think that they are fine pipes.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have an Aldo Velani with a varnished finish. Pipe smokes ok, BUT the finish is bubbling on the face of the bowl. In 35 years of pipe smoking, I have only had one other pipe do this, and I have owned over one hundred pipes. Both pipes were purchased at the same retailer, so it might be secondary so something they wiped the pipes down with. I do not know. I paid over $100 for mine as well, so I do not plan to purchase any other Aldo Velani pipes. So, I don't think the price you are offering is out of place, and the pipe might be fine, but you never really know. If you like the pipe, go for it! Good luck!

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Thanks guys, I offered $45, he came back at $70. I declined. Think I will stay away from overseas listings. Too much risk and the final shipping costs are never known beforehand.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I think you search a bit you'll find a few other sources for Aldo Velani church wardens. I won't post a link because I don't think they're a site sponsor but I was able to find a pipe store in England that has new ones in-stock for 40 euros. I also think there are plenty of decent church wardens in the $ range you're looking at.
My first pipe was an Aldo Velani. Figuring out what it was actually brought me to this forum. It was a nice little rusticated basket pipe I picked up at a local tobacco store here in Milwaukee. It smoked well for me for a few months. When my nephew saw it fell in love with the pipe so I gave it to him. He's still smoking it and it's one of his favorites.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
These pipes used to be imported by Lane Ltd. The name is made up by Cesare Barontini for export, mainly to the USA. They are a good pipe for the money. I've had mine for many years and it's a fine smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.