PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
No, it's not a new law firm.
Just thought I would post a few new additions.
The first is a Ryan Alden sandblasted author. Nice craggy blast on this one. Classic shape.
The second is a JT Cooke blowfish. To be truthful, I am not a huge admirer of the blowfish shape. However, as part of my Cooke collection I am trying to add pipes that reflect classic shapes that Cooke does make, so I added this one. The shape is divisive in general, and this one is no different.
The third pipe is a bent egg with bamboo by Tyler Lane. Tyler is a well known artisan carver who I believe was one of the founders of the pipemakersforum many years back. His pipes don't come up often as I believe he gave up full time pipemaking several years ago while at the apex of his career in order to raise his young family and devote time to his work as a minister. I believe (and correct me if I have the story wrong) that Tyler returned to part-time pipe making a few years back but because of his limited output his pipes are hard to come by. Here is an interesting article on Tyler if you are interested: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/12/11/tyler-lane-returns-to-pipe-making.html
One cool thing I love about the Lane is the bamboo. I have never had a bamboo pipe like it. It feels and looks as though Lane sanded the bamboo, so it doesn't have a smooth or glossy texture like bamboo normally does. If anyone knows how Tyler did this I would love to know. I was way more impressed with this pipe in the flesh than I was by it in the photo, which doesn't happen often.
fiurbNF.jpg

qvmgw5W.jpg

GTPOt06.jpg

ibKE7Fc.jpg

BH7iGMI.jpg

q0ftvKa.jpg

TPFixPj.jpg

3vynxdV.jpg

FLOG6er.jpg

T9IgKiZ.jpg

5Qtp7bu.jpg

May 31, 2012
I'm at a loss for words at the moment,

will try to form a coherent response later.

8O
m i n d

b l o w n

! ! !​

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Tyler is top notch, personally and as a Pipe Maker. He is the founder of Pipemakers Forum, and was formerly a Minister in Midland Texas. He moved to Oklahoma city and took a private sector job last year I believe.

It looks to me that the bamboo is very lightly sandblasted, which brings out those ribs in the grain.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
All 3 impressive, beautiful pipes for sure. Every time I see one of those Cooke blasts I just can't stop staring at it...incredible.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good Gods! Tyler's reputation is certainly outstanding and getting an opportunity to see his work is rare (I've never seen one in person). I also like that weathered bamboo section.
Ryan Alden is now firmly in the #1 spot for a future commission.
Enjoy getting to know those Three Kings!
we-three-kings.png

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
All great pipes! The one by Tyler was sandblasted at a really low pressure with a very fine grit...Very difficult to do without blowing holes in the bamboo...

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
They are all works of art! The Cooke has a texture that is both beautiful and mesmerizing. I hope they smoke well for you.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Whoa Pec! After the 8 pipes, 7 of which I hadn't planned on getting, emanating from the Northeast Regional/Kaywoodie SloSmoke Holiday Party, I thought my PAD had gone into a quiescent mode. But, with your pix, nooooooooo.
hp

les

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Ab Fab.
By the way, do you plan on smoking any of these new acquisitions or just gifting me an outstanding 12 days of Christmas pipe collection? :)
As usual, well done chap.
Cheers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.