PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I made a deal with myself a long time ago that I would have one pipe by any one carver. I don't want a collection of pipes as much as I want a collection of pipes that I smoke regularly. I also decided not to keep a pipe that wasn't a superb smoker. This has cost me some time and too much money.
Recently I broke my own rule by ordering a second Ryan Alden commission. The first is as perfect as any pipe I have ever owned. That includes Dunhill, Heeschen, Rad Davis, Eltang, Pre trans Barling, Castello and Becker.
Today I was on SPC...because you gotta look at SPC...and I saw a new Dunhill Tan Shell for over 1000.00. Now I am not here to bury Dunhill, I like mine and it is a fine pipe, but for that money I could buy 3 Aldens, I could keep a craftsman working, and they would smoke as good or better.
Anyone on the fence about an artisan pipe should really take the time to check hm out.
Finally I have no financial interest here. I actually paid him a bit more than he asked because Paypal said "do you want to send this payment again?" and it was easier

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've owned a total of 5 Alden's and still have 2 (gifted the other 3). They are fantastic pipes!! Not to brag, but he even developed a stain color for me that he uses quite often. Okay, he developed it because I'm a fussy POS who asked for a golden tan. But his stem work is just fantastic!!! His blasts are really nice!!! Geez, sounds like I'm his bitch.....

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
His stem work is perfect and his engineering is spot on. The way things are going with the FDA who knows how long he will be able to carve. Folks should get one while they can.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have 2. One is a colab pipe between Alden and Bill Walther also a fine pipe maker. And then there is the custom. I talked to Ryan in New Orleans last year and began the process. The button and stem work are some of the finest I have seen. The pipe smokes perfect every single time and is so well balanced that it is an effortless clench. I will be ordereing more in the future.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
You guys are nuts gushing over your Ryan Alden pipes. All you are doing is making it to where he's going to start raising his prices to where they ought to be for the kind of work he produces. So, I'm not about to brag about my Alden sandblasted Lovat that I picked up from him at the June Kansas City Show that has already made it into my top-5 group of smokers.
So, how about toning it down a little before I'm priced out of the market? Sheesh!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
he's going to start raising his prices
I've grown accustomed to living below poverty level, I'm starting to like it. No one ever asks if they can borrow money, and my wallet is far more comfortable to sit on :lol:

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I have three Alden's pipes. Two Authors and one Strawberry Wood tomato. Won't be my last. Great guy, great pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.