PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I am a big fan of Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake. I really enjoy the whiskey topping, and was thinking of adding some whiskey to other flake tobaccos I own. I was wondering what the bast way to do that would be. Spray it, soak it, dunk it? Any input would be great.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been using Captain Morgan Black and spraying it until quite moist, mix it up, repeat. Let dry, repeat. I do this about five times, and then spray again until slightly moist and jar it up. I've been doing this with some unflavored black cavendish for pretty good results.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I prefer to put the whiskey in my mouth then dunk the tobacco in, but, to each his own. :mrgreen:

Yeah, a little spray bottle will do the trick.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Spray is the way to go ... does wonders for re hydrating tobacco, and topping as well.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You can also infuse the spirit. Take a shot glass, fill it and place

The shot glass sits in the tobacco like an egg in a nest. There was a device where the whiskey sat below a tobacco container and the aromas permeated it that way.

Mike S.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
1. Top self with alcohol.

2. Spray on tobacco.

3. Warm tobacco in a dark place to evaporate some moisture.

4. Top self off with alcohol.

5. Light beard, draw on pipe, stagger around, pass out in dark place.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
1. Top self with alcohol.

2. Spray on tobacco.

3. Warm tobacco in a dark place to evaporate some moisture.

4. Top self off with alcohol.

5. Light beard, draw on pipe, stagger around, pass out in dark place.
So, you've seen me on the weekends?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I don't do it anymore but soaking in Whiskey for a week/month/years might have the desired effect you're after.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Basically, I really like Bothy Flake and thought scotch on some other flake tobaccos might be good, namely HH Latakia Flake. I love HH Latakia Flake and thought the whisky topping might be good on it as well.
Edit: Finally 100 posts!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
unkleyoda, in my experience, I really don't think it matters. Apply the booze evenly and let sealed a few days. The stuff seems to spread pretty evenly through the tobacco all by itself. Open it, flip the stuff around and mix it up a little and reseal. Do that a couple times until it looks 100% the same, then be sure to remove or let air off any excesses.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
unkleyoda of course there is also the easy way. Go to the store and buy the tobacco topped with the desired liquor. Your navy tobacco has rum, I think Samuel Gawith and a number of other manufacturers, I am sure, also have scotch infused tobacco.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
unkleyoda of course there is also the easy way. Go to the store and buy the tobacco topped with the desired liquor. Your navy tobacco has rum, I think Samuel Gawith and a number of other manufacturers, I am sure, also have scotch infused tobacco.
I can appreciate the sentiment, but Mac Baren doesn't do HH Latakia Flake in a whisky topping. I kinda want to experiment too, similar to how DeathMetal makes his own mixes. I just was looking for the correct way to do it. It might be great, it might suck really bad, but I'll never know till I try it.
Thanks everyone for the input.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I don't do it anymore but soaking in Whiskey for a week/month/years might have the desired effect you're after.
I've been doing it to myself for years and have always gotten the desired result... :wink:

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Samuel Gawith makes Bothy Flake. Bothy Flake is a Va/Lat flake with a scotch whisky topping. I really like it a lot. But, I thought it might be interesting to put some on some HH Latakia Flake. I'm currently soaking 2 HH Lat Flakes in some 12 year old Aberlour Whisky. It might be awesome, it might be horrible. I guess I'll find out.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
unkleyoda I like your creative side ... after all, what's the worst that can happen? You may end up throwing away the two flakes, which is not that big of a deal. I would be curious of the result myself ...

Status
Not open for further replies.