Alcohol for Salt Treatment and Cleaning.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Higher the proof better the clean. If you in the states everclear grain alcohol works best if like me your in Canada most of us use 99% ISO alcohol from shoppers drug Mart works just as good.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi andypandy. I've used vodka, but have switched to 99% Isopropyl alcohol. Generally, the higher the alcohol content the better, as it will evaporate more fully and evaporate more quickly. A high test vodka worked just fine, but I found that I couldn't keep it around when I wasn't cleaning estate pipes (it just disappeared out of the freezer 8O ).
If you're going to use isopropyl alcohol, do go for a high % and make sure that there is no odour. Some of the low test, low quality alcohols have additives which are noxious.
Good luck!
-- Pat

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I just use BJ's green apple, it's 6% alcohol that's enough right? Haha in all seriousness, I use ever clear because its cheap and it's sold locally. Every other posters suggestion works fine though.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Everclear 190 proof is a great grain alcohol solvant/cleaner. If Everclear is not sold in your state go with the highest 151 rum or vodka you can get.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I just finished cleaning one of my pipes with salt and isoproyl alcohol and it worked out just fine, but high proof spirits would be best, good luck with your cleaning.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I use the isopropyl 92%, and it works fine for the alcohol/salt treatment. I also use 151 rum for a good cleaning after 10 or so smokes.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.