PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've noticed many members use liquor to clean their pipes. First, why? Does the flavor of a given liquor impart itself to the pipe? In which case, what kind of liquor would you recommend to add a final cleaning of a pipe, hopefully one not too expensive? (I don't actually drink hard liquors.) Rum, Vodka, Brandy? Which would add the most distinctive and flavorful taste?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I use plain grain alcohol precisely because it imparts no flavor to the pipe. It's also the highest in alcohol content, hence the best cleaning power.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
High proof alcohol gets the gunk out and that's what everyone's referring too when mentioning it. Everyone has their favorites and personally I just want the cleaning affect and not any flavor transference. I'd guess that the spiced rums and such would leave a ghosting hint of flavor even after the alcohol has evaporated and some of the Aro smokers probably prefer that.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
What settersbrace said.
I use 190 proof Everclear. 1)It get's the gunk out better than any other kind of alcohol 2)It has no taste or flavor to leave behind. and 3) It's "food safe" unlike rubbing alcohol and denatured. :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I use 99% isopropynol, as I live in Canada drinking alcohol is for drinking. Even if I lived in the US I'd probably use 99% iso, it evaporates and leaves no taste and cleans well. Plus it's dirt cheap.

spilproof

Lurker
Apr 29, 2014
Water content can be bad. I use 99% iso to, as that is what is available here. It does a great job of removing tars. I would use Everclear if I could get it, but its not an option. A standard proof liquor is going to leave a lot of moisture in your pipe compared to 99% isopropyl.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I use 151 proof rum. There is a slightly sweet flavor but it is gone at the beginning of the first smoke. It is the highest proof I can get. But, I plan on switching to 99% Isopropyl when it runs out.

stosho

Might Stick Around
Aug 10, 2013
I use Everclear mostly but have used some whiskey I am trying to get rid of recently. I'm still upright.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Yes, Virginia has weird laws about alcohol concentration for commercial sales. I have used Bacardi 151 rum and let it dry over night. I have enough pipes to not worry about the rotation bringing up a "wet" pipe.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
The LD50 (oral, mouse) for isopropanol is 3600mg/kg.

The LD50 (oral, mouse) for ethanol is 3450 mg/kg.
I wouldn't worry about the toxicity of isopropanol. And with less water, it does a better job at cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.