PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Okay so I figured out today what not to do when restoring estate pipes. I got a few new pipes in a trade a while back and decided I was going to do a Alcohol & Salt treatment. Well, I didn't have anything better to do that day so I sat there with it next to my computer and every so often as alcohol either was absorbed or evaporated I added more with a dropper. I did this for several hours, I really wanted them good and clean.
My wife eventually came home and I got side tracked. Then life got busy and it wasn't until today when I got home from work early that I had time to go back and finish cleaning them. They have been sitting with the salt in them for about 3 weeks now. Now on a normal restoration when I come back no later then the next morning there is usually some crust on the top easily broken. This time, the damn salt had hardened half way down the bowl. A very deep bowl.
I did this on two pipes. I had to sit there very gently yet forcefully drilling into the salt. You never realized just how much salt a pipe can hold until you have to removed each grain individually. Alas, I did get all the salt out but it took be a good 2 hours to get it completely out of both pipes.
The only lucky part about it was I had just recently ordered some wire shank brushes. If I would not have had them, I would not have been able to get the salt out of the shank. As both pipe were long Canadians. Normal pipe cleaners just crumpled in my finger tips.
Lesson learned...but they came out very clean. :oops:

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
What kind of salt were you using? Shaun is adamant about only using non-iodized rock salt. Lately though, he's just been using cotton balls and Everclear.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
L to the O to the L. Take that for ignoring your pipes! haha
Glad you could save em. I'll take your advice and NOT do that. I'd most likely just do the cotton balls first and if that didn't work THEN I would take the salt route.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have done cotton balls and salt, both with everclear.
Prefer the salt.
Why?
Because I have had occasion with both to have a hidden piece remain in the pipe.
Salt smoke a lot better than cotton.
trust me.

• Haha
Reactions: Steeeve
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Lol, I agree to that, Portascat!
If the pipe is lightly smoked, I'll use the cotton ball method. If it's been more heavily smoked, then the salt is introduced. Then if I have a pipe that has a cake that almost fills the bowl, I do a complete retort restoration. Even with the more heavily smoked pipes, I may go ahead with the retort just because some of the weird smells in the pipe.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I was lucky. The only time I did the salt and alcohol thing, I left it in for three days, just out of ignorance. It popped out like a little rock cylinder, a perfect cast of the inside of the bowl.
Never did light it up as it was immediately stolen from a jacket pocket at a party, before I ever bought tobacco. Delayed starting the pipe for over a year. It certainly looked clean and pretty inside the bowl.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I got these in a trade with marmal4de a while back. These are the pics he sent me.
This one has a cool tree bark texture and I really like the bit. This one is significantly larger then the second one below. The shank held a lot of salt. I spent the most amount of time trying to dig it out of this shank. Can't really tell what brand of pipe it is.
af993831.jpg

This one has a golden brown birds eye mixed with smoke like veins of black. It really is something to look at.. Has a stamp that says "The Albany Pipe," "Made in England" and has the number 29 stamped on the bottom. Any one ever heard of an Albany Pipe?
d1915e97.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Of course it's after the fact now but wouldn't adding more alcohol to the dried salt have loosened it back up again?
Regardless, after that warning of what can happen I'll be sticking with the cotton balls myself (-:

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yes OTD I did eventually use a little alcohol to remove the last bits inside the shank as they were to hard to get out other wise. But, by adding alcohol after the fact could bring some of the gunk I pulled out of the pipe back in. Kind of defeats the purpose. In my opinion.
@cyndi
I use non-iodized table salt. I like the smaller grains to be able to get all the way down the shank.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I would suggest getting some sea salt. You can grind some of it up to make the smaller grains for the shank area.
I think there are some downsides to table salt, but I can't remember what they are.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
So you guys salt the shank as well? I had always heard not to get any salt in the shank but maybe I heard wrong.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use sea salt, but never let them sit more than overnight. I do try to get some in the shanks and can see where cleaning a lovat or Canadian you might want to get the treatment pretty far up the shank.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Wallbright, I've always put salt in the shank. The bowl isn't where all the crud actually is. The shank is where all that tobacco moisture sets and why a pipe tastes funky after a time of no cleaning. The alcohol will pull a lot back into the bowl, but I see it as if there's more absorbing agent there, then it should pull out more. I haven't had any issues doing it this way, either.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Yes. I did it a few times without doing the shank and could still taste seomthing "off" on these Canadians especially, I wanted to get everything out of the shanks. I used a wadded up pipe cleaner to plug the shank and I have a flower pot full of fine sand that i use to prop the pipes. I ended up have to scoop some of the sand out and throw it away as so much gunk came out of the shank.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I use kosher salt & everclear on my pipes. Kosher salt doesn't have any iodine. I've heard that's a big plus not sure why. If I don't have everclear, I head over to the pharmacy and pick up a hug bottle of isopropyl alcohol 99 for a few bucks and that does the job also.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
hi all , new here just a couple days. been smokin pipe for 15 yrs now just recently threw the cigs away totally( bout a yr ago) anyway, other day i found an old brigham mountianeer(3 pin) at an antique store. I just had to have it as its in super condition,(needs nothin) anyway i cleaned it up, but it gives tounge bite not related to tobaco bite and also an afterburn on my lips. any ideas what i done wrong?? could sure use some suggestions.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Welcome to the bords nsfisher; before Hobie asks, we need some pics of both fish and the Maritimes! Only place in this country that gives BC a run for its money when it comes to amazing scenery I say.
As for your Brig, what did you clean it with? It sounds like a chemical reaction to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.