Alapaha blue blood bulldog (animal not the pipe)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Greetings everyone, I have been trying to get another dog to join the family (my trusty old lab is getting up there in age)and I dont a replacement dog either. My lab still has acouple years (maybe) left. So I do like the guard/family dogs, I came across this dog that I really thought was cool called an Alapaha blue blood bulldog. Now I have already done all the online website stuff, what I was curious about if anyone out there has heard of these, or had any personal experience with them?

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
What, you're too good for a German Shorthaired Pointer? Outrageous! It's the perfect dog.
Actually, I just put this blue bulldog thing in the Google and it looks like a very cool dog. I never heard of it before.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I'd just say adopt... Plenty of good dogs that need homes; best dog I ever had was a mutt
Well this is kinda an adonption thing. Best dog I ever had was a mutt also. Cant really find those anymore, everything has to be all some fancy breed nowadays.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Best dog I ever had was a mutt also. Cant really find those anymore, everything has to be all some fancy breed nowadays."
You can't really find a mutt? Seriously?! I'm on the board of directors of a small dog shelter in northeast Ohio and there is no shortage of healthy, friendly, ADOPTABLE mutts ANYWHERE.
I hope you'll give one of them a chance.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
A handsome dog, and a tough looking dog. I read that they're good with kids and very protective which is good. However, looks a bit like a pit bull and so I have to admit, a dog like that would make me a nervous around my kids and especially the neighbors kids who would appear as strangers to the dog (too many horror stories).
Personally I'd go for a German Shepherd myself - they are good protectors and have a better reputation as family dogs (i.e they aren't prone to tearing babies to pieces).

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
numbersix, NO dog is "prone to tearing babies to pieces".
The American Pit Bull Terrier is one of the most loyal companions known to man. In the early 20th century, they were known as "nanny dogs" due to their gentleness and loyalty to children. Yes, some psychopaths have trained them to fight, but these dogs fight not because it is their nature, but they do it to please their master. Almost EVERY dog that was taken from that bastard Michael Vick's dog fighting ring was rehabilitated and is now living peacefully with a family who loves them. I've personally used pit bulls as therapy dogs with sick and injured children and have NEVER had a problem with them.
It's ironic that you recommend a German Shepherd over an American Pit Bull Terrier, because GSDs were victims of the same ignorance and reputation as "killers" 20 or 30 years ago.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
numbersix, NO dog is "prone to tearing babies to pieces".
The American Pit Bull Terrier is one of the most loyal companions known to man. In the early 20th century, they were known as "nanny dogs" due to their gentleness and loyalty to children. Yes, some psychopaths have trained them to fight, but these dogs fight not because it is their nature, but they do it to please their master. Almost EVERY dog that was taken from that bastard Michael Vick's dog fighting ring was rehabilitated and is now living peacefully with a family who loves them. I've personally used pit bulls as therapy dogs with sick and injured children and have NEVER had a problem with them.
It's ironic that you recommend a German Shepherd over an American Pit Bull Terrier, because GSDs were victims of the same ignorance and reputation as "killers" 20 or 30 years ago.
Thanks BIgvan (no sarcasm). Good point - this is something I've heard before but have forgotten. Still can't help being a bit nervous when I see one, but you make a good point nevertheless.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Owners make the dogs nuts most of the times. But, there are bad in every breed, including Humans.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It doesn't take a large dog to tear babies to pieces... A house cat once ate the entire hand off one once, the owners just couldn't imagine it happening (and neither could I, never heard of a fighting cat). Lesson here is a baby should never be left unattended with any animal (big or small), problem fixed.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
My family has always gotten shelter dogs. Usually full grown, frequently with some history of mistreatment in their past. We are animal people and love to spoil our pets. Quite often the dogs we get are terrified of something or another from their past, and as such they require a whole lot of patience care and love. If your willing to take the time to build that trust though a dog becomes fiercely loyal,exceptionally trusting of the family, and caring protectors from outsiders. I've had a dog (Lab/shepard mix we think)that when we first got it was terrified of anyone picking up a shoe(it had been beaten pretty badly) who, over time, and with patience, started bringing me my shoes in the morning with his leash draped over them for his morning walk. Same dog also tackled and held my sisters boyfriend pinned to a corner until dad and me came home after he slapped my sister. His lips stayed curled back, with teeth bared and a very audible growl, until my dad grabbed the kids collar. Then the dog went and got his leash and came up to me, tail wagging like a puppy, wanting to go for a walk, while my dad had a very serious discussion with a very terrified 15 year old guy that ended with him leaving the house airborne. The dog got a steak with his dinner that night :D

My folks current dog came to them with burns all over her...I've finally established enough trust that she doesn't hide under the porch every time I light up out back with her. Only took three years.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Okay let me get in here real quick. Im from nw Ohio all the dogs at our shelters are "pitbull mix" as they are called, or so old that they may not make it home. Just was curious if any of my briar brothers here have had any real hands on knowledge of these dogs. I'll start a whats your favorite dog and why thread tomorrow.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
those bulldogs seem to run about $2500+. plenty of adoptable dogs in rescue and shelters. I entered Toledo and got just shy of 5000 adoptable dogs on Petfinder.

nice looking 18 month old

OH385.25647112-3-pn.jpg

here's a nice 2yo

OH618.24401980-3-pn.jpg

this girl would cost you $600+

OH618.25711264-1-pn.jpg

baby beagle

OH169.25741104-1-pn.jpg

go here and search by location, breed, age, gender.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
German Shepards rock and make the best dogs . I have a Jack Russell who looks like a sheep because she is so fat and Chihuahua I got in the bario for 60 bucks . After my last Shepard died I went to the Animal foundations and they all wanted to tour my home and make sure it is accecptable for a pet . They also wanted Vet records for my dogs . They also wanted to know if I had a cage to keep them in . I do not keep dogs in cages and never will .I also do not spay or neuter my pets . I do not want someone cutting my balls off and neither do my dogs .Check the Sunday paper and find a new cheap pet .

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
German Shepards rock and make the best dogs . I have a Jack Russell who looks like a sheep because she is so fat and Chihuahua I got in the bario for 60 bucks . After my last Shepard died I went to the Animal foundations and they all wanted to tour my home and make sure it is accecptable for a pet . They also wanted Vet records for my dogs . They also wanted to know if I had a cage to keep them in . I do not keep dogs in cages and never will .I also do not spay or neuter my pets . I do not want someone cutting my balls off and neither do my dogs .Check the Sunday paper and find a new cheap pet .
-you are feeding her too much and/or not exercising her enough

-why would it be a problem checking out who they are releasing dogs to?

-that's exactly why there are millions of dogs available for adoption.

-yep cehck the sunday paper and encourage more backyard inbreeding the ones they don't unload as puppies either end up in the pound or in the river.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...that bastard Michael Vick's dog fighting ring ...

Anyone who has been on this forum for some time knows how strenuously I object to foul language, and I'm not the least bit bashful

about calling them out on it. But in this instance, even I have to take bigvan's back on that comment. Dog fighting is not only

cruel to the animals that are forced to participate, but also to the many, many docile pets stolen from their homes and used as bait

in "training" pit dogs to kill. Disgusting!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Drwatson This apears to be a stand up organization with some great looking dogs

I have a bulldog that we got for the same reasons as you...he's an outstanding dog, hardheaded, worste gas you could imagine, snores like a train...just an all around great dog :D
2012-12-30150552.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.