New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been seeing a few new avatars and mentions of Alabama in threads, so we must be getting more of our great state's pipe smokers on here. If you are within driving distance of the Birmingham area, I would like to extend an invitation to joining our Magic City Pipe Club.

Magic-City-Sign.jpg

Who: We are a laid back group of 10-20 guys and sometimes gals (or gal) that likes to get together and discuss all things tobacco, pipes, and cigars. We have some of the most interesting people joining us, and we'd love to get to know you and share in our passions for this hobby/pastime/addiction/compulsion, whatever you want to call it. It's very informal, come and go as you please, and it's free.

We even get some that stop by on Pipe Club nights just because they cannot make it to the Briary during normal business hours because of one thing or another to make pipe or tobacco purchases.
When: It is the second Monday of every month from 5-8 (or whenever Smokey Joe kicks us out). Don't worry about being on time or having to leave early. We have no formalities. Just bring your favorite pipes, and feel free to show off new PADs, and if you want to share tobaccos, or just sample tobaccos brought by members. Or, just grab a cigar out of the humidor and enjoy the camaraderie.
Expect backslapping, raucous laughter, and good natured debates.
How: If you are interested, send me your email in a PM on here, and someone will send you a reminder of meeting nights. Sometimes we have to make it the first Monday or third if Skip has something going on at The Briary.
Where: The Briary in Homewood, just south of Birmingham. If you need directions, I am happy to send you a map.
I hope to see you there, and if you are from here, let me know. We have a few other members of this forum that join us as well.
Come on... it's fun!!!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Great Cosmic.Hope this ups our group. If you're in the Lake Martin area,get in touch with me and we'll ride together. ;-)))

4-10-2017, We will be meeting at the Briary from 5-8PM, or whenever Smoky Joe kicks us out. Jabo is bringing a box of samples, and he has said that he would be there as early as noon.
Google Map It...

609 Oak Grove Road

Homewood, Al 35209
So, grab a few of your favorite pipes and a few tobacco favorites that you'd want to share (or not) and join us. The conversation is always stimulating and the tobacco is always excellent. It's a rather broad spectrum of interesting guys, from newbies just starting, world explorers, woodsmen, farmers, artists, actors, and just really cool guys.
Guys come from as far away as Mississippi and Georgia, so don't give me that "it's too far away" excuse. Just show up, and the rest just sort of happens.

I hope to see you there!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm in north Alabama, and only rarely get down to the Birmingham area, but I definitely plan to hit one of your meetings eventually.
Thanks!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Cosmic,
Yeah, I'm not really far at all. I've even bought a new motorcycle I'm trying to put some miles on, so I that would be a good excuse.
My problem is that I'm a widowed father of an eight-year-old, and I spend most of my non-working time with him. I know I need to get out more, but I've become a real homebody since his birth.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Ophiuchus, phhhht, 10 hours, I could do that komd of time standing up. Come on... :puffy:

No joke ... next week is a work week, but in the foreseeable future? I like a good road trip, I live for excuses for a good road trip, and I love the South, especially served hot. Who knows? :D

We had twelve members show, and a new young pipe-smoking couple. It was a great meeting last night. Jabo brought the Box pass for everyone to sample and to add more tobacco to, and we all were forced to share a favorite pipesmoking moment.
We will work on getting Max Stokkebye in for the June meeting to allow everyone to give their hand at blending. But, be sure and come out for the May meeting, so that we can meet you before the blending event.
Everything is free, no membership fees for anything... and even the pipes in the displays and all of the pipe tobacco on the shelves... are not free, ha ha. I just wanted to give Skip a heart attack if he is reading this. :puffy:
Come on out, and join us. It's one of the few things that gets me out on a weeknight, and I look forward to this all month long.

Status
Not open for further replies.