PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
So, the wife offered to buy me a pipe. I made the purchase from this site sponsor and ordered a Peterson x105 in the Golfer series. It's essentially an x105 nosewarmer. This is the first pipe I have ordered from Italy and its being shipped Fed Ex. I don't play golf, just love the pipe.
Peterson Golfer
How many of you have ordered from Al Pascia and what have your experiences been like? They have a lot of Peterson's that are not typically seen in America.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I have not bought from them since I am in Florida and I do not know what extra charges I would need to pay for Customs and shipping etc. I know their prices are less then USA distributors on most of the pipes I looked at.
I think forum member Foggymountain has bought from them previously. If you send him a PM he could provide his input.
I hope you enjoy your new pipe and that it arrives safely to you.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have five pipes from Al Pascia: 4 Ser Jacs and a L'Anatra. Obviously, I'm quite happy with the service and price.

They FedEx their pipes around the world, and I've had very good service. On one occasion the pipe arrived at my door

in Chicago, from Milan, just 33hrs. after I pressed the enter key!!
The pipes always come in a box, wrapping paper, and ribbon. Class act all the way. :puffy:

If they have something you like, don't hesitate -- it's just like dealing locally.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I was told that if they ship via UPS or FedEx that customs charges a fee, is that correct?

Years ago I used to buy from an Italian retailer and I was later billed for customs import tax, I wonder iff this is still the same.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
The beautiful thing about Al Pascia is that they ship Fedex for 10 Euro flat, great service, and an amazing selection you don't find this side of the world.

The bad thing about Fed Ex is that because they have their own customs/duty/brokerage clearing service you will always pay duty and any taxes as defined by the bill of sale. So for Canadians, you will end up paying the duty charge, the brokerage fee (to Fedex) and any taxes owing to the government. Fedex doesn't want any issues tax wise to wherever they are shipping, so they are diligent in making sure all fees are paid including their handling fee.

Aside from that, congrats on the pipe!
Shutterbug

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have to say I am pretty impressed with their service. The pipe shipped yesterday and arrived this morning. It was just packed into an envelope so I was a bit hesitant, but opening it up showed the Peterson box wrapped in bubble wrap. Inside the wrap they had wrapped it in heavy stock paper with a bow (nice touch, had little billiards on it) and inside the Peterson box the actual pipe was wrapped again in bubble wrap. They also included a hand signed note saying they select the best of pipes and to enjoy it. Not sure about taxes/customs yet. There was a note in the customs documents stating it was a tobacco pipe "for civil use" and it was declared for full value and contents. No problem there.

I've been looking at Alpascia for quite awhile but am glad I finally took the plunge. They have Peterson lines not seen stateside, so there is a nice variety. They say they hand select all of their pipes, so that is reassuring. At least you know they are given a once over before going up for sale. You just have to appreciate a bowl turned in Spain, sent to Ireland to be finished, sold to a shop in Italy and then shipped to the USA to be smoked. What a world.

Status
Not open for further replies.