PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
McClellands British Woods is a heavy Latakia hit. I think C&D Pirate Kake is 75% Latakia but I have not tried that one.

Mar 1, 2014
That's a hilarious slipup Pitchfork. I seriously thought you were trying to be helpful (help people stay away from Latakia, which is what anonymous groups are supposed to do, isn't it?)
It's actually a little more of a complicated question than "what has the most Latakia?"
Latakia in itself doesn't get you the flavour of an English blend. I've tried it, it isn't bad, but one of my best Latakia experiences was mixing straight Latakia with G.L. Pease Cairo, which is mostly Oriental tobacco. Basically I was making what you get with most English blends. I found 50/50 was less flavourful than a smaller portion of Latakia (though apparently Star of the East is 50%, so maybe I was just doing something else wrong, or maybe my tastes just changed). If you want to figure out what "maximum Latakia" is, you may as well blend your own.

The best advice I've read is to make sure you write down what goes into each small batch, otherwise you'll end up having a fantastic smoke and have no idea how to duplicate it.
My favourite pre-mixed blends are Star of the East, Captain Earle's Stimulus Package, and G.L. Pease Quiet Nights.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You could always get some blending lat and add it to what you already have. Last year I got some blending lat from SG, GH&C,C&D and McClelland. I love the lat and have enjoyed it straight.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This should hit the spot.
6qxGtU7m.jpg

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Another vote for Star of the East and H&H Larry's Blend is really good too

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
H&H Lat Flake

Old Dog

FMOTT
Those are my three favorites in heavy rotation these days. My son, 12, says FMOTT in the tin smells like "meat on the barbecue."
Old Dog seems a bit under the radar, as i seldom see it mentioned. But it is just outstanding stuff. TONS of lat flavor, burns like perfection, no bad habits at all.
The lat flake? What can I say -- all latakia, all the time.
I would say 95 out of 100 bowls I smoke are latakia heavy. I see some in this thread I haven't tried, and will. Pirate kake, eh?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Mr. Pease is an excellent blender across the board, but he is especially known for his latakia blends. I'm sure I don't have to tell him what a loss it was to loose the Syrian latakia stash to that warehouse fire, and to have to stop production of Bohemian Scandal. That was a hot blend! Odyssey, Abingdon are staples, from what I know, by those who love latakia. Gaslight is one of the very best full latakia blends extent.
But there are so many fine full latakia blends on the shelves. Currently I am in love with Sillems Commodore Flake, and in the last year have been similarly in love with Nightcap and MB Latakia Flake.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
More on Sillems Commodore Flake.
I would call the latakia full rather than heavy, meaning that though it dominates, it does so without a strong hand. I'd also say that some of the smokiness that I'm used to in other lat dominant blends is subtracted; sometimes it seems gone. The Dark Fired is certainly detectable by strength but not so much in taste. For instance, it's taste in JackKnife Plug and Cumberland I find much more evident. I've never smoked Black Cavendish or been able to isolate its taste among other tobacco blends, nor do I taste it here. But without it I would bet Commodore would a harsh blend; but with it, it is smooth.
I bet it does something for you when a reviewer tells you he can't taste two of the three constituent tobaccos;).

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Today I got myself some SG Balkan flake. Had'nt the chance to smoke it yet but it smells delicious. I think I'll have to try the MB. The other stuff you guys mentioned is unavailable around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.