PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
More than a year ago, some saavy old pipeman on Forums responded to my complaint that my Kaywoodie Drinkwell stem screwed in so the bit ended up slanted to the correct perpendicular position. I finally, finally got around the the simple fix he suggested. Heat the shank of the pipe, where it joins the stem, with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive that holds the screw mount in the shank in place, then ease the stem and bit back into its proper alignment. I don't use a hair dryer, just let my hair air dry, so I borrowed my wife's dryer, explaining my plan, and she kindly assented. With a little fiddling, and after a few tries with increasing time applying heat, sure enough, that akimbo bit finally moved into correct alignment. So simple, it's embarrassing. For any of you with Kaywoodie Drinkless pipe owners with slant bits, this is the easy fix. No pain, no fuss. And thank you to the shrewd soul who recommended this easy, easy fix. What took me so long? I'm enjoying a bowl of Pegasus in my "new" Kaywoodie Ruf-Tone author. Perfect. Need help with your pipes? This is the place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Glad to, aristokles. At one time, Kaywoodie pipes were among the best and I think they may have cost more than Dunhills at one point, maybe in the thirties. While the Drinkless stinger system, combining the metal filter in the stem and shank with the screw-on stem arrangement, is really old fashioned today, it is serviceable enough, and it's a shame the quality control doesn't catch the pipes that don't screw in with the bit in position. It's my understanding that this is not uncommon. They could heat the shank right there at the end of the assembly line and send the pipes off in perfect shape. But my Ruf-Tone is a solid little pipe, author shape, with good thick walls and interesting spot carving, light enough for clenching, and boasting a fine solid feel. The U.S. still does a nifty factory pipe, if they will.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush, thank you so much. I took so long to get to the task, smoking the pipe with its crooked bit right along. Not a proud confession. So when I finally took your advice, I couldn't remember who'd shared this deep mystery of Kaywoodie maintenance. My level of satisfaction with this "repair" is ridiculous, but very satisfying. Thanks again! Viva Kaywoodie, with its flaws.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks for sharing, you two, I have a Canadian with a slightly askew bit. I will have to try this trick.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
buroak, it was under-turned. For smoking, it made little difference; the slight angle didn't cause a problem and wasn't that detectable. But it looked daffy and was an annoyance, and having it corrected makes it more enjoyable to smoke the pipe. I read recently that Kaywoodie has discontinued the Drinkless series after many many decades, but there are still millions of these pipes around, and some of them likely need this repair. The other Kaywoodie I have is a push-bit and a nice little pipe, a blast pot (or billiard?) panel. I guess if a Drinkless pipe was over-turned, the stinger/screw mount would have to be rotated nearly 360 to get it back in position, more of an operation but workable, I'd say. Sablebrush may have further input here.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489, Stems often left the Kaywoodie factory underturned. Kaywoodie manuals informed the buyer that the stem would "settle" into alignment over time. Overturned stems are the result of repeated reassembly. The correction you made is actually the more difficult of the two, at least in my experience. The stinger on an underturned stem actually has to be inserted farther into the stem. That is not too difficult on vulcanite, but dicey on some other Kaywoodie stem materials. When a stem is overturned the correction is to unscrew the stinger from the stem a bit. That has proved easier for me. You are dead on about the sometimes major adjustments needed. I have seen Kaywoodies in which the the stinger has been turned 180 degrees to achieve proper alignment. One Kaywoodie in my collection may have been rotated more than 360 degrees over its lifetime.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I fixed an overturned stem on a 99B Flame Grain using an extractor bit. I heated the metal tenon insert on a flat stove top, enough to melt the glue. I then used the insert to remove the insert and re-glued it at the correct orientation.
kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_stem-fix.jpg

It was only overturned by a few degrees, but it bothered me.
kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished-11.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_finished-12.jpg

kaywoodie_flame_grain_99b_stem-fix-2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think perhaps the Kaywoodie calculation about an underturned stem settling presumed that the pipe was a daily smoker. With some pipe smokers having more than a dozen pipes, and some many more, this resettling would take, maybe, years. Even with daily use, I am skeptical that the resettling was ever a good plan. Better to send out the pipes properly set and provide information on adjusting it back if needed. It's a moot point for Kaywoodie who has now discontinued the Drinkless series, but people will be doing these repairs on Drinkless pipes for decades.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think that the assumption was that the smoker would occasionally remove the stem to clean the stinger and then screw it back in before the pipe had cooled. This would cause the collar in the stem to rotate, since it's only glued in and the glue is softened when warmed. The company sold a specialized repair unit for reclocking stems. I've seen a picture of it along with some ad copy, but can't find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.