Adjusting a blend that burns very dry and harsh?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I have most of a tin of C&D purple cow that has always burned very dry and harsh on the palette. Im thinking of adding some latakia to it as a way to mellow it down. At the moment it is pretty much un-smokeable and if I cant change that I may as well get rid of it, which is unfortunate. I am hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself can give me some help with this, I would greatly appreciate it .

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
If you don't want to lose the cigar flavor then maybe add some #5100 Red Cake a little at a time. Hopefully some of the guys here that blend their own stuff might have a better suggestion.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks for that troutface,I would love to try that but unfortunately I live in Ireland and getting tobaccos is really tough , normal tins here cost roughly 20 euro (about 28USD) I can just get some bulk virginia and latakia. I appreciate your input though.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
What's the moisture content like? While many around the interwebs are on the DRY DRY DRY side, I think it should be dry, within reason. Personally, many (not all) C&D tobaccos arrive too dry for my preference. This is okay on one hand because you get more tobacco for your money, but I think blends that are too dry can smoke hot and harsh (also I don't think they age as well). I've never smoked Purple Cow so I can't say for sure, but if you think it's a bit on the dry side, don't be afraid to add A LITTLE BIT of distilled water to see if it makes a difference.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Try a pinch of PS701 it comes in bulk and is all Virginia .Or toss a pinch at time over a better liked blend that you already have to use it up .

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Burley can be harsh. I agree that Virginia can help. Harsh normally equals nicotine, and Virginia is usually low in Vitamin N. Moisture content can also have an effect, but don't go overboard.
Russ

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks everybody for your help , so much good advice. This blend is definitely on the very dry side of things, i think i will try moistening is a bit first to see how that affects it. Hopefully it will help.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Just a long awaited update on my Purple cow situation. I tried increasing the moisture content in the blend to help with the harshness but to no avail. I have since vacuum sealed all the remaining tobacco to see if the ravages of time may help to soften the blow of Purple Cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.