PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I was in the airport on my way from New York to Chicago and while on line to get my boarding pass scanned I saw a man walk buy me with a pipe in his mouth. It looked like a Dr g but I was not 100% sure. I wanted to ask him but didn't want to get off the line.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"We should get lapel pins made..."
I like the idea! It could be worn as a lapel, hat, collar, or (if you are brave and have both a high pain-tolerance and an up-to-date tetanus vaccination) body art pin! Kevin, are you paying attention to this?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I can't begin to tell you how when I go get my mail at box on the farm how many cars slow down to look at the ugly old man smoking a pipe, Really is it that unusual? Been doing it so long doesn't seem right not to have one clenched .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I presume the man with the pipe wasn't smoking it, but I'm surprised he wasn't continually

cautioned against "smoking," lest he try to light it up. I think seeing someone with a pipe

is a rarity because public places have become so inhospitable, so that even where they are

permitted, people don't know that and don't smoke pipes. How often do I want to explain,

"Oh, it's not lit; I don't plan to smoke it." How tiresome is that. I have on occasion taken a

camera without a flash to art galleries that permit photography but not flash photography.

When I do, I spend half my time explaining these rules, not to guards who know the rules,

but to officious gallery guests who think they are helping the management or me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Was in a Mexican restaurant during the Christmas holiday, and was surprised when I was asked, "Smoking or nonsmoking?". The wife and I quite happily said,"smoking!". She enjoyed an after dinner cigarette, and upon pulling out my Weaver blowfish, some of the customers, and a few of the waiters told me stories of their pipe smoking grandfathers, and how unusual it was to see someone today smoking one. It's like being in a secret club! All of us need to get those smokingpipes.com logo hats! :mrgreen:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
There is an older man on campus who I've seen walking around with his pipe. I have not met him in person yet, but I posted a pic of "the pipe smoker in the urban wild" on a FB pipe group ... which he happened to be a member of as well. Plan on hooking up with him for a smoke at a nearby B&M (Tewks, where that gross cherry soaked Hobbit's Weed originates) sometime next semester.
I'd buy a pin if it was sold and put it on my backpack. Also, I dig the "friend of Kevin," though that would mostly just apply to this forum.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I was in D.C. last week visiting my son. We walked around the city and I smoked my cob. We stood on a corner waiting for the light to change when this little kid looks up at me, points, and says.
"What's that in your mouth?" I was about to answer when his mother says to him.
"Allan, don't talk to strangers."
But at least the little guy, or his mother, didn't tell me to stuff my pipe.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
stories of their pipe smoking grandfathers

This is why I smoke cigars in public.

I see guys smoking pipes all the time especially when I at my AZ home. I see one guy walking his dog pretty much everyday and there are sometimes see guys sitting outside Walmart puffing away waiting on their wives. 8O

65chevy

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
I have smoked cigars and still do from time to time, when the brother in-law get together for the back yard Bar-BQs most of them got started from me, I've smoked on and off for more years then I can remember.

but the big thing for me is that a cigar is a one time smoke. yeah you can buy a box of Punch, Upmann, but you keep that pipe smoke after smoke. And you pile the memories on that one pipe till the next time you smoke it. it more of a friend, there is nothing left after a cigar but ash. I remember the time I was smoking my Kaywoodie with my friend at the local smoke shop. or the time my kids gave me the Xmas Petersons Pipe. and every year on Xmas out it come for a smoke. pipes are more then vessel to hold tobacco. they are the journey we take with our friends, they are the reminders of the days of leisure, they are our friends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here we go!
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/fun-gifts/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=99028

Status
Not open for further replies.