PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I've noticed pipers reviewing tobacco recommending that tobacco be "aired out" in the tin before smoking. Is this common practice? Do you pop the lid off and let it sit in the open air for a few hours or even a day or two? Or does it mean you pop the tin, but the lid back on, and wait a week?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My system is to keep my tobacco in a mason jar, when im going to smoke, I take a bowls worth out and put it on a plate for 45-60 minutes (latakias I like to be quite dry) and then smoke. I wouldnt dry ALL of the tobacco out at once because it is much harder to rehydrate than to dehydrate.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
My unfailing treatment for all blends is to open the tin and fluff, rub out, or cube cut to my preference. Then I will allow the stuff to dry. It may take an hour it may take a week-- when it's dried to the point where I prefer it, I'll put the top on the tin and let it sit on the shelf for at least a week, usually 2 or 3. The results are sublime. The flavors open up and get sweeter and more balanced and focused.
I know many of you think I'm nuts, but my smoking got twice as enjoyable once I started doing this. It's particularly wonderful with Va flakes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Billy ... I don't think your nuts at all!
Well, not for the reason stated at least!! lol
I have a very similar method for my wetter baccy's - Scottish Cake comes to mind.
Happy Smokin!

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I'm with latbomber. I put some in a small pewter bowl at least an hour before I smoke...works fine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only dry what I am going to smoke, I never want my tobacco to get too dry and have to re hydrate. I keep my open tins in plastic tupperware like containers that keep them fresh for months.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Harris, I do exactly the same. Those Tupperware boxes really work for opened tobaccos. I have one for my flakes, one for my twists/ropes (I keep the black ropes separate because their smoky smell can affect other tobaccos) and another for swaps/samples that I have yet to try out.

Status
Not open for further replies.