PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Does anyone go into their cellar and "air out" their tobaco? I recently opened up some jars of aro's I had cellared and while they weren't spoiled or rotten, they had a "flat" smell to them. but after I shook the jar, moved the tobacco around and let the jar air out for a few minutes the smell of the tobacco came back? The tobaccs still taste great like they did when I bought them, it was just the smell wasn't there after opening the jar.
Does anyone else do this?

And should the tobacco be stored in the smalled jar avaiable for the ammount of tobacco you have?
Any help would be arrpeiciated

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Are you planning on long term aging of your aros? Aros really don't age well, from everything I have read.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Shawn, aromatic tobacco will keep over time. But aging won't improve it any. Or at least that's the conventional wisdom.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
So, what tobaccos are best to cellar? English/Balkans? VA? VA/Per? I think I read the answer somewhere, but I forget where. :oops: All this gov't paranoia around here makes me want to start a slow cellar trickle. :lol:
Never mind. Finally found my own answer.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
You can cellar anything you want and it should keep just fine. But Virginias benefit the most from aging.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Mostly aros, and for the short term, less than 2 years or whenever I get done smoking them...I don't have any virginia blends, just aros and english

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Good lookin out Bigvan. Here is a question, Not trying to hijack the thread but I think its a fitting question. Which blends benefit the most from aging and Why? Is it about starches converting to sugar maybe? Just an idea.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Honestly the aromatics I have tried with one year of age on their belt have been devoid of flavour... I'll never order an aromatic again unless I want to smoke it within the next month or two.
Not quite a full aromatic, but I just cracked a tin of C&D Epiphany last night that was made in December 2010. I couldn't taste any latakia, perique, and only vague sweetness where a plum/fruit topping should have prevailed. I guess now I've got a plain jane burley on my hands.
Methinks I should've smoked it in 2011 to get the full effect of the blend. Some things just aren't meant to be saved...

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
To the OP, you don't need to touch them during their "nap". When you decide to open a jar to smoke from, just give the tobacco some time in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.