PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I know the standard advice on many McClelland blends is to pop the tin and then let it sit for a month or more. But I've found this to be good advice for many blends, even ones that people say are ready to smoke right out of the tin. I've had better smoking experiences with blends by GLP, Sam Gawith, McClelland, and even blends produced by Kohlhase & Kopp after they've been sitting around for 3-4 weeks, and the taste improves a lot over tobacco from a freshly-opened tin. I live in a humid climate, so I just keep my tobaccos right in the tin and they don't dry out faster than I can smoke them. These results don't seem to be the same if I dry the tobacco under a desk lamp or let it air dry. It just has to sit in the tin for a few weeks. Anyone have similar experiences?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Yes I have had similar experiences. There are a few blends I enjoy from Peterson, Dunhill and SG that really improve, imo, after one or two weeks in the tin. I too don't get quite the same result from air drying a bowls worth each time. I can usually just scoop right out of the tin with no more drying necessary, at least with ribbon cut.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I agree. In my experience MOST blends "open up" in the tin after a few weeks, some get better after 4-6 weeks. I think my last tin of Sixpence was like that, I didn't jar it, but cube cut the whole tin when I opened it. Took me about 2 months to smoke it, and the last few bowls were the best..........could be from the extra dryness too...Capstan Blue flake is similar as well for me, the last few flakes were incredible.....

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I have not yet cube cut a whole tin of flake in one go. Currently I jar up the flakes and cube cut/dry on a smoke by smoke basis. I'll give it a go with my next tin o' flake.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Stickframer-

I don't usually either, but with Sixpence I always cube cut it........ The Capstan I fold and stuff-- Just depends on the blend and my mood really........ :puffy:

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Took me about 2 months to smoke it, and the last few bowls were the best
+1 Beefeater. That's what made me realize how much the air time seems to help most blends. I had some tins (Jack Knife Plug and FVF, among others) that were nothing like the previous tins I had smoked. Set them aside for a month or two and came back... and they were just right. It has gotten to the point that I've started opening all of the tins I intend to smoke at least 3-4 weeks ahead of time and just letting them sit.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I think flakes in particular benefit from some air time. I had a similar experience with Sixpence. Flakes seem to retain moisture longer and many are shipped quite moist. Ribbon cuts not so much.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I don't smoke flakes very often so I tend to jar them soon after opening a tin. That's pretty much the opposite of what I do with ribbon cut. Hmm. Perhaps there are errors in my ways. Lol

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I gave been amazed at how some airtime really improves some blends. I did not like my first bowl is squadren leader at all. A couple of weeks later I was still not impressed and figured it might not be a blend for me. It moved to the back of the cupboard and I just smoked bowl 5 months down the road and it is incredible. Much more flavour then I was getting before. I now know not to give up on a blend too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.