PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Does anyone know if the woodworking type air filters, for example the JET AFS-1000B, are able to remove pipe smoke? In the colder months I smoke in my garage. The furnace is there though and draws the air it passes into the house from there. So, if I have an english blend or a cigar, the aroma in the house, while far from being as strong as in the garage, may not be appreciated by all. All of my woodworking tools are in one of the garage bays and I've thought about getting one of the air filtration systems to handle the fine sawdust that gets in the air an on everything. Just wondering if it would deal with smoke as well. If so, I could wound two birds with one stone and give myself more motivation to crap or get off the can on this.
And, for the sticklers out there, I did search multiple times for threads relating to air filtering but had no luck finding anything.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks, flyfishn. I'm willing to put in a little effort in order to not duplicate threads, but if the basic search doesn't turn up anything, that's about the extent of my effort.
Thanks, rothnh. Your reply answered my question perfectly. I will contact JET and see if they make inner filters that handle smaller particles. If not, my plan was as you suggested, to get a device designed for smoke removal.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hey Sean, that is the exact same air filter I use in my shop. The shop is really small (10'x12') and one bowl really fogs the place up. I smoke all day, so this turns into an issue quick ! While I cant say anything to the "science" of micron ratings and such, I can definately tell you this thing eats smoke. I can smoke all day long with the filter running and not have any issue with smokiness in the little workshop. Turn it off for a bit and it fogs right up.

Thats not saying the miniscule particles aren't still hanging in the air, I dont know about that.

Also, I bought mine used, so it may have a better filter than what is supplied. I know both filters in mine are the reusable cloth filter that you spray out with a hose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I spent 16 years removing smoke from my pool hall and the only system that works is a 3 stage Heppa filter system. You have the Heppa filter then the charcoal filter then the soft pre filter. There are many sizes of these and the more money you spend the more the filter will move the air. You can choose size based on the size of the room. The sizes are usually based on CFM's, 1000, 1500, 2000 and so on.

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks, rothnh, I will make sure to look into furnace filter options as well. That could be an easy and relatively cheap step.
Thanks, lonestar. I wondered, even knowing the average smoke particle size, if they'd still have some effect. Great to hear from someone who has one and has noticed an effect.
And thanks, cigrmaster. It's good to know that the higher end ones made for that purpose do work well. I'll likely go that route at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.