PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
In another post I just said that unfortunately regulation is going soon to be enacted in the city where I live which is going to ban smoking in apartment buildings. It's a big problem for me as smoking outside at least for me is losing 80% of the experience.
So I am thinking to see if there is any effective air purifier system which really blocks smoking going out of the unit. To be clear I don't smoke that much, generally on Friday and Saturday evenings, and I don't really have any buildup of smoke in the unit as I smoke close to the window and within 1 hour after smoking all the smell is gone, so I don't have a problem of removing smoke buildup. However, when the regulation will be in effect my only option will be to smoke with closed windows and avoiding any smoke going outside of the unit. I know one of the problems is the A/C that I can turn it off when smoking avoiding the recirculation of air.

The real issue is if there are any reliable air purifiers which can really absorb the smoke on the fly avoiding it to get out of the unit. Any experience at this regard and any system you would suggest or it is not a feasible option?

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
My wife still hits me in the head with a lead spatula even if I blow right into the filter. You're screwed. Sorry

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Rabbit Air A2 with a smoke filter works. Personally, I just use a Lampe Berger, but the Rabbit purifier is perfect for tobacco smoke.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
This is mostly opinion, with a tad bit of fact and anecdote:

For a person who doesn't smoke, trying to get them to not smell something is impossible.

Air filters, even 500$ ones, are not perfect. You may as well use duct tape on all the doors and windows and never go out of your apartment again.

How bad will it be if some sneaky fog of smoke escapes and is detected? Will you lose your place to live?

If people were reasonable a filter should be fine. But most people are not reasonable anymore.

I never wanted to buy a house. It's been a money pit, but a blessing, too. The more I think about it the more I am glad my wife pushed me in that direction.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
We have been in our house for about 3 weeks now. The previous owners both smoked cigarettes like there was no tomorrow. OMG, stink! The entire house is carpeted, with the exception of kitchen and baths, 2700 square feet. We had the carpets cleaned, blinds and windows cleaned and hung up little bags of some sort of crystal stuff that my wife found. These WORK. I can't smell smoke at all now and we did not wash down the walls.

Seriously, if there was not a no smoking clause in the original deal you made, I would ignore the 'rule'.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Good Points, Ken. The very next lease would put the clause in. I just would hate to see someone lose a home by smoke escaping under the door. Going to look into the crystal stuff.

David

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Me too David. I know that armchair quarterbacking is easy, but giving up is easy too. I do understand the disgusting nature of do-gooders and their brilliant ideas. Our new home is outside of the 'association' and their restrictions by choice for sure.

I hope the OP gets some sort of good resolution to the problem.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Seriously, if there was not a no smoking clause in the original deal you made, I would ignore the 'rule'.]
It is not related to leasing contract but to city regulations coming up. It looks like it will be effective for new leases very soon but it will be extended in 1 year to all existing leases. It will also affect condos (so even owners of their own house if it is a condo).

I am not concerned with the lingering smell as I smoke little (tipically Saturday and sometime Friday evening) staying near open windows and literally there is no smell after 1 hour. If someone comes now it is the fresher unit in the building. Problem is while I am smoking which could be detected. So all my issue is finding a good system which does not let escape detectable smoke while smoking that evening a week. After that I know I am safe as it is very fresh inside, manager came even last week for work inside and no comment at all about smoking, it is a very clean unit.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have been using a Honeywell HEPA air purifier. It seems to clean the air in my living area just fine. I have it set right in front of the a/c air intake.

the model I have has 2 or their R sized filters and a pre filter. Filters are supposed to be good for about 12 mos. but I figure mine will be good for 6. Most of the winter I can open the windows.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Best bet is an exhaust hood that vents outside. Much better to remove the smoke as it happens rather than try and abate later. Beyond that, you've received some good air treatment ideas. I'll add that electrostatic precipitators work well, especially when mated with a good carbon filter installed post-precipitator.
What city are you in?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Timely thread. I'll be moving into an almost new house in a bit, and I've seen from the seller's disclosures that there's a question about has smoking occurred in the home?!
So, presumably market value could be lessened for some buyers if you check Yes. And lawsuits if you check no and it can be proven otherwise. Oh, Lordy!
Also, you have to disclose if anyone died in the house in previous three years. But you don't have to disclose if AIDS was involved (death or no). There are more clauses in the standard real estate contract here than Carter has pills.... (or had. A dated metaphor— Oh, heck, that may be a similie. Too pooped to look it up.)

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Best bet is an exhaust hood that vents outside. Much better to remove the smoke as it happens rather than try and abate later. Beyond that, you've received some good air treatment ideas. I'll add that electrostatic precipitators work well, especially when mated with a good carbon filter installed post-precipitator.

What city are you in?]
I don't think exhaust hood is a good idea in my situation as it could actually make detectable the smoke coming put from the unit.

I do agree the best air cleaners are the ones with generous thick carbon filter (which is more important than HEPA filters in absorbing smoke). I have mixed feeling about ozone/electrostatic precipitators as while they are effective, they make a bad smell by themselves, are not healthy (particularly ozone should be used when no one is in the room) and actually could make the precipitated particles adhere more easily to the paint and carpet.

I would probably tend to use only the carbon filtration while smoking maybe with ionizers on and then making an ozone run up after smoking and leaving the room. About the position I would agree putting the air cleaner in front of the A/C intake should be ideal only problem this is a central unit A/C with the intake at the top of the wall so not easy to place the air cleaner there. I would probably end up putting in front of me at the center of the room.

About the model there are many types and I am not totally convinced there is a great difference between a 200 or 1000 $ model for my scope. I saw the Zen Living ZL-3C+ Ionic Air Purifier which is targeted toward smokers as it as an oversized carbon filter + ionizer + ozone generator. It is decent size and the price is not bad (150$ on Amazon). Anybody had that one or similar?

BTW. I live in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills for the precision). Another ridiculous regulation in California is that ionizer/ozone generators cannot be sold through regular channels for the health hazard they might pose.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Not sure about the layout of your space, but is there a room that does not have direct access to the front door? If you have any space, even slightly small, that you could make a study out of, you might smoke proof it.
When we were rearranging things in our place I had to sleep in another room for a couple months. Wasn't supposed to smoke there, as it is for our kids when they come to town. Hate to admit it, but the lu worked fine. I didn't get busted smoking in the boy's room.That or another small room as I mentioned would be a pretty sure thing. And remember the question: Do you have a search warrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.