Ahoy There! Anyone Up for More Newbie Questions?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggerb

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
Good Evening fellow pipe enthusiasts!

I'm new to the boards, but I've been lurking for quite some time now. My name is Brian and I've just recently picked up a pipe again. I smoked a pipe back in high school but simply for a different version of Vitamin N than cigarettes. I gave up the coffin nails, haven't had one in a significant number of years.

I've recently purchased a couple of new pipes. One is a Brigham the other is a Capri churchwarden. I live in a small town, no tobacconists/B&M. I picked up a tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe with my pipes purchase and a pouch of the grocery store Amphora Full Flavor(comes in a red pouch).
Now to the questions! I've started building up cake in both pipes but I'm having an incredibly hard time getting past this tongue bite/mouth burn. No matter the combo of pipe/tobacco, I'm getting the age old snap of the tongue and as someone else on the forums posted, an aftertaste that lasts well into the next morning even after I brush teeth etc for the nighttime routine.
I know that the Dunhill tobacco is quite a decent blend as I've seen countless 'excellent' reviews on it, but I really am not enjoying it... yet. Same goes for the Amphora Full Flavor. Now, is this from a combination of me puffing like a banshee (actually learning to smoke and have patience), new pipe with no cake to speak of, and grocery store tobacco or something else?
Also, can anyone suggest one or the other of a significantly milder, sweeter, smoother aromatic?

From what I can tell reading the forums I should be looking into: Trout Stream, Lane Ltd 1Q, and a certain type of Frog Morton which I can't recall. For my purposes the milder and sweeter taste and smell the better.
I'm only about 30 mins from the border crossing into MT, so I can access the USA for buying tobacco. That being said, anyone know of a good tobacconist/B&M in Kalispell/Whitefish/Eureka area :)
Any info would be muchly appreciated, I've read a bunch on the forums so far and I'm definitely excited about delving into the plethora of knowledge that's available here with the veterans..
Thanks a ton!

- B

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sound like you to need to try different blends until you find the types of tobaccos that agree with you. VA's and English blends tend to bite me,perique sets on on fire,so I smoke mostly burlies,especially the OTC varieties,PA and CH mostly.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
ejames makes a good point regarding burleys. I think they are a great starting point for new smokers. Everyone recommends 1Q because it is mild blend. However, I think new pipers tend to draw heavily and the ribbon cut on blends like 1Q get really hot. Give Prince Albert and Carter Hall a shot. The good news with these blends is that they are readily available almost everywhere; gas stations, drug stores, grocery stores, etc.

Good luck and try to slow down your puffing and takes sips instead. That should help tame the burning tongue.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well I guess I would begin by suggesting that some peoples body chemistry will react differently with different tobaccos. Some people have a lot of problems with Red Virginias. I personally can't smoke cheap aro's unless they are very dry. Usually so dry that I don't enjoy the flavour anymore. If I could suggest that you look at a sampler pack from a reputable online dealer like Ritch at 4noggins. It will give you best bang for your buck. Call him, explain your situation and he will get you set up. I would also suggest finding someone in your area that can give you a few hours on hands on instruction will pay dividends. Amphora Red is not a bad tobacco but I do find Amphora is more for room note than your enjoyment. Keep asking questions and welcome to the board. Some day you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well, undoubtedly, virtually all of us could attest that learning to truly slow down, them slow down more is a large part of enjoying the pipe. You could buy the best pipe in the world- on an estate sale so it's all nice and broken in- and you could have tobacco from heaven- but if you puff like a freight train your mouth will feel that way
Now, Early Morning Pipe is an oriental forward Latakia blend...not what I see recommended for any beginners.
The other recommendations of 1Q, frog Morton, etc. are all very good. CAO Eileen's Dream delivers quite a sweet smoke and and smell too.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
My suggestions would be as follows:

Pick up a few MM Cobs

Then grab yourself a pouch of Carter Hall, Prince Albert and try to get a tin of Frog Morton Cellar, you will be in pipe smoker heaven.
Welcome to The Club!!!

biggerb

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for all the info fella's!

I'll have to find this Carter Hall and CAO Eileen's Dream.. I dont know where in Canada I can get it from.. 4noggins I've been there, and it seems like a good site. I'll have to look more intently at that.
Any info about Trout Stream? Would it be considered a beginners smoke? Sweetness/mildness etc?

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Trout Stream is a nice tobacco, in my opinion. I find it both sweet and mild. In fact, it's too mild for me (as I am a Nicotine disposal unit), so that might appeal to you. I recall it being forgiving as well but still slow down so you don't burn your pipe out.
I would also second the Carter Hall suggestion as it is just a good tobacco and the Prince Albert because it will help you build cake.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a couple of observations to add to the good advice already offered:
  • Tongue bite is the pipe smokers' rite of passage (actually it's probably tongue burn or scalding). Just hang in there!

You may want to try stronger tobaccos. It's possible that you're puffing too hard and/or fast because you want more oomph

than your current choices can deliver.

Starting points would be: C&D's Night Train, Bayou Morning, Halav U Dvash (Milk & Honey); or G L Pease Haddo's Delight, or Cumberland.

There are many, many more to suggest, so enjoy the journey.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
4noggins I've been there, and it seems like a good site. I'll have to look more intently at that.
4Noggins is great!!! Give them a call and I am sure they would gladly help you out if you let them know what you are looking for.

Rich is Awesome!!

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Some advice I've been given on this site includes, slow down, sip, and clenching helps control your puffing pace. Also make sure you dry your tobacco, if it is wet the steam created will burn your tounge. I reccomend using a tounge scrapper before you brush your teeth, it helps relieve the aftertaste.
And remember that unless you spend 48 hours in the states, customs can and will charge duty when you cross back into Canada. I seem to remember Peck, one of our Canadian members relate that he orders a small amount of tins (I think he said two at a time) from 4noggins and rarely has had to pay duty. Good luck.

biggerb

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
Again, thank you all for the welcome and the pointers. I do need to slow down on my sipping, indeed I need to slow down my LIFE, that's why I picked up a pipe again! Here's to hoping my sipping and cadence gets better with the passing of time, and I do intend to pick up a couple of the mentioned brands, probably in 50g pouches if they're sold as such across the line. Eileen's Dream, CH, PA, Frog Morton Cellar, also thinking of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream loose cut and perhaps a small pinch of Lane Ltd 1Q. Should all be enjoyable smokes I'm hoping!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum
I'd like to agree with trailspike
Most tobacco (including EMP) comes in quite moist and if you simply open and load your pipe it will absolutely burn hot
Drying time is necessary on many blends and if you are smoking store bought aros, they will dry sometime in the next century! :)
Try to pull some out and let it dry until it doesn't 'clump' when picking up a pinch and dropping it
Could make a big difference

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Great advice here so far. I'll add that my smoking technique improved dramatically once I realizes that smoking slowly meant not just drawing more seldom, but also the speed at which the smoke enters your mouth. If you take a puff too rarely you'll have to draw like a freight train to keep the fire going. Drawing more often but WAY more gently did the trick for me.
And drying out the tobacco is essential.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
biggerb, a few ideas about bite and tobacco. Even a long-time pipe smoker can get bit by bite. It can make

brushing your teeth with peppermint toothpaste or other zingy flavors somewhat painful. It can make hot/spicey

food you previously enjoyed uncomfortable to eat, etc. I recommend coasting with some milder tobacco. Some

mild possibilities include the ever popular Q1, Lane's LL-7, and two by Altadis, "Queen Anne's Revenge" and

"Dark Obsession." These are all pleasant, mild aromatics. Carter Hall is also often recommended on Forums.

Slow down the pace of smoking yes. Maybe keep it to one or two bowls a day for a while, and put some space

between that first and second bowl. Good luck!

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Her Brian! I also find myself having the problem of getting carried away and puffing a lot. I would recommend Captain Black White. I can puff it a lot and still not get tongue bite. It's also an OTC, sweetish in flavor and not too strong. The room note is also very pleasant. I hope this suggestion helps out.
Smokey Tay :puffy:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
When I start suffering from the dreaded "bite" I switch over to my tried and true friend Carter Hall exclusively for a couple days and I am back to happy.
Maybe keep it to one or two bowls a day for a while, and put some space

between that first and second bowl. Good luck!

Far easier said than done. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.