PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Hello community.

I have been smoking a pipe for about two months now. It started after I smoked a cigar and just wanted a different experience. I am not a avid smoker and I can see myself smoking maybe a few times a month. Start out with a cob and some aromatic tobacco.
After trying various aromatic tobbacos , mainly black cavindish, I decided I wanted more flavor. While I do enjoy the moist hot air with a vanilla flavor I got from black cavendish I decided to venture out. Today I received a tin of plum pudding and MB Vanilla flake. So....today I cracked open the tin of PP and was repulsed by the smell. I thought it kinda smelled gross. But I decided to power through and filled my cob and reluctantly started puffing. To my surprised I enjoyed the flavor. Unfortunately due to the gusts of wind we were getting from the hurricane I didn’t get to enjoy my full bowl due to over heating. But it let me know how to proceed. I do still favor the aromatics but I still have some experimentation to finish.
My next upgrade will be my pipe so I do have a question for the community. I have decided the next one would be either a Morgan bones or savinelli unfinished. Would anyone recommend one of these over the other? I am also open to other advise as well.
It’s a pleasure being here and learning about this awesome hobby.
Kind regards

Coxman.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. There are many good moderately priced pipes, if that's what you want. You can either keep your costs low or save for a more up-market pipe, as you will. For thirft, I like the Rossi pipes made by Savinelli, Dr. Grabow Royalton's with nice acrylic stems, and the Missouri Meerschaum cobs with acrylic stems (they cost a little more but seem worth it to me); Charles Townes Cob and Dagner poker are examples. You might track down sparrowhawk, a member who offered a Nording pipe for $45 including shipping; looked great to me, if it is still available.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Yah , smoking on a windy day , awful
Anyhoo .. hitch your painter on to the ris'n and take a spell ..

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome aboard! I'm a lifelong Tennesseean currently in exile in Kentucky.
I own both Morgan Bones and Savinelli Unfinished pipes. I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either. The Savs have a vulcanite stem, while the Morgans have an acrylic one. I think I prefer the acrylic for ease of use, but I'd let the shapes and sandblast vs. smooth be the deciding factor, if I were you.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lots of people from Tennessee here! I’m in Knoxville.

I think I have settled on the ergo Apple from Morgan for now. I’ll upgrade soon I’m sure. My stretch goal is a Castello 55....one day.

coxman

Lurker
Sep 15, 2018
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Lots of people from Tennessee here! I’m in Knoxville.

I think I have settled on the ergo Apple from Morgan for now. I’ll upgrade soon I’m sure. My stretch goal is a Castello 55....one day.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Welcome, cox, & howdy from not too far across the border (SC Piedmont, SparkleCity area)!
I don't have any Boneses myself, but ANY Savinelli is going to be good. I prefer lucite generally over vulcanite because it's more comfortable for me, but I'll never turn down a hard rubber stem just because of that.
Don't know what your B&M situation is over there, but if you make it over to Gatlinburg any time, the Gatlinburlier in Mountain Mall is definitely a place to check out. (I'm sure lochinvar will attest.) I'll keep it brief since they're not a site sponsor :), but Ira & his folks there absolutely know their stuff & will treat you right. Prices aren't too bad either, even though it's a tourist area.
Bill

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome from SE Louisiana. You're not that far from Gatlinburg. Check out the Gatlin-Burlier for tobacco. Those guys are pretty knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.