PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2013
I've been smoking meerschaum pipes for at least the last 35 years. I discovered meerschaumpipemaster.com a few years ago and ordered a few pipes from them. I was introduced to 9mm pipe filters last year and decided to switch over. Ahmet, the owner of the company, easily provided me with pipes meeting my specifications. About 7 months ago I asked Ahmet if he could produce custom pipes to meet my specifications. We agreed on a price and he delivered two pipes to me that exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, one of the pipes developed two large cracks (one horizontal and one vertical) that rendered the pipe useless. Amet's website clearly states all of his pipes have a lifetime guarantee. I contacted him regarding the defective pipe and, after several more emails, he at last responded that he would produce a new pipe to replace the defective one. I have been sending him weekly emails, thanking him and asking when I could expect the new pipe. It has been almost a month now and he has failed to provide any answer.
I know that meerschaum is nothing more than a unique clay and potentially subject to defects. That being said, having purchased several dozen over the years, this is the first time I have had the experience of an inferior, defective pipe. Even so, the fact that Ahmet has failed to respond to my emails presents me with a dilemma. The fact that he sells a wide assortment of pipes is wonderful. The fact that he can produce completely custom ordered pipes is even bett :(er. BUT, the fact that he has not responded to me, leaves me no choice but to warn others of his less than acceptable professionalism. So, like everything in life - let the buyer beware!
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

As I look over all of your other contributions to the forums, I just have one question. Have you ever thought about posting something that does not complain about this Meeschaum company? 4 posts in three years, and all were complaints. Just seems like a fishy wicket to me.
I'm sorry that this happened to you, if it did happen. And, I hope it resolves itself, if there is a resolution.

May the Force be With You! :puffy:

Oct 15, 2013
I find it interesting that someone here decides that the proper course of action after reading a negative post is to check the authors prior posts. Is this some sort of witch hunt?
As I mentioned, I have been smoking meerschaum pipes for a relatively long time and, until this recent experience, have always been happy with my purchases. I felt the lack of response from this particular supplier warranted warning others of potential problems. If this action is contrary to a forum for pipe smokers, I am sorry I posted it (them). On the other hand, as a pipe smoker, I would want to read negative comments prior to making an investment of a few hundred dollars to have a custom pipe made for me. To me, no negative comments equals a good source. But again, sorry I posted negative comments about this company as it apparently is taken as offensive. It's too bad I can't include a picture of the defective pipe, less than 8 months old.

My curiosity was piqued when I didn't recognize you at all. If you had of been one of the regulars who interacts with us, and you posted a negative, then I wouldn't have thought anything about it. But, since you had been a member since 2013 and had only three other posts, it was worth a look. And, I just found the results interesting. There isn't any rule saying that you can't just come here to complain. That's fine. But, it might just be worth pointing this out before someone decides how they are going to react to your post.
I do this on Yelp also. Some folks only ever use it to complain, and that weighs heavily on whether I take their warnings to heart or not.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I don't see any issue with a review of a retailer that either exceeds or doesn't met expectations. These are things I look for before making significant purchases. Yours was not a scathing attack but a warning complimented by positive notes about the distributor.
I do hope the issue with the pipe gets resolved and you are able to post here with a happy ending.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Since complaints usually only reflect one side of a situation, I pay little to no attention to them. Before I order from a new vendor I check them out by questioning others who have had dealings with the vendor. I want the response cogent and as objective as possible. I'm not disparaging the OP here. Obviously he can't post the manufacturer's position. I just do not put a lot of weight into a one sided complaint.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
What Cosmic is trying to point out is that the point of the forum is to participate in the community, read, post, share and sometimes complain or inform. 3 years and 5 posts about basically the same thing looks out of sorts. Tell us about your good experiences, what you like to smoke, etc. There isn't anything wrong with informing us of bad business practices, but we don't know you and therefore why should we take your word. When I saw the thread title I figured you were a spammer. We get a lot of that. Also you are digging up old posts to comment on, one started 5 years ago. That leads us to believe that you went looking for posts to complain about. We do hope it gets resolved for you. But we also want you to come play with us, participate, get to know some folks, and enjoy this part of the hobby.

Oct 15, 2013
I understand your comments about my lack of posts. I do review information on the forums here on a fairly regular basis. I think I should explain the history of my negative post. Please excuse my very long winded story.
As I mentioned in my original post, I have been smoking meerschaum pipes for a very long time and have accumulated several dozen over the years. A while back, my dentist told me he noticed my upper pallet was being affected by my pipe smoking. He suggested making a 'pallet guard' for me to use while smoking to protect from the heat. That sounded horrible. I discovered that pipes can be equipped with a 9mm filter and purchased one. Months later, my dentist commented that this change seemed to be helping prevent any new damage to my pallet. I attempt to convert a few of my meerschaum pipes instead of buying new ones. This was a disaster. In the past, I had purchased a number of pipes from Ahmet and knew he made custom pipes. I had him make me one and was very happy with it except that it was on the small side. I am retired and walk quite a bit. Instead of constantly stopping to refill my pipe, I had Ahmet make me a large pipe - 2 inch bowl depth and 1 inch inside diameter. It was great. About eight months ago I decided to go for broke and had Ahmet make me two new pipes, complete with my monogram carved in the front, with a silver ring to prevent cracking where the stem is inserted (I have had the experience of the meerschaum breaking at that location) and, of course the ability to insert a 9mm filter. The pipes he made for me were exactly what I wanted. I have a feeling that, based on the price he charged, he did not use the highest grade of meerschaum. I have purchased pipes from Altinok Pipes and have been very pleased with them. Sinan, the owner, also does customer work. Sinan is a most agreeable man and I can highly recommend him. The only reason I did not have him make my custom (dream) pipe was because his quote was twice Ahmet's. As I reported in my original post, one of the pipes Ahmet made for me developed two sever cracks that rendered it useless. I suppose this is always a possibility, but it's never happened to another meerschaum I've owned. Ahmet does guarantee his work for at least a year. When I emailed him about the problem, with several pictures, he did respond (after a few weeks f silence), promising to make a replacement pipe for me. It's been more than a month now and he has not responded to my requests for an approximate delivery date. Hence my warning. I must say that both of these company's have a very extensive offering of wonderful stock meerschaum pipes and believe anyone would be happy purchasing a pipe from them.
Again, sorry for being so long winded. Perhaps I have cleared up a few complaints and offered some good information.

Oct 15, 2013
Sorry, I forgot to provide the websites for these two sellers of meerschaum pipes -
http://meerschaumpipemaster.com/
and
http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/

Oct 15, 2013
I want very much to update my original post.
I have just received a message from Ahmet of Meerschaum Pipe Master.
He tells me that my replacement pipe will be ready to ship in a few days. :clap: :clap: :clap:
In view of this, I would love to remove my original post in which I complained about the defective pipe and the lack of response from Ahmet.
I believe that if you want to purchase a meerschaum pipe, either custom or stock, you should not pass up the opportunity to visit Ahmet's website, that I posted above.
I still think you must be aware that meerschaum comes in all qualities. Clearly, the more you pay (hopeful) the better quality pipe you will receive. A magnificent pipe can't be cheap.

Oct 15, 2013
I guess I spoke too soon. It's been three weeks since Ahmet made his promise. I have not hear from him since. So, I guess I should rescind my positive remarks about this source for meerschaum pipes.
I have a feeling no one really cares but I felt obliged to post this update.

Oct 15, 2013
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM
http://meerschaumpipemaster.com/
On this website, it is clearly stated that pipes have a "Quality, lifetime guarantee"
This is a lie! as you can see above, I've been waiting for a replacement pipe for months. I get promises but no pipe.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I must say I have been fascinated by the chain of posts on your travails in the meerschaum world. It is precisely because of these issues I do not buy new pipes and stick to 100+ year old specimens! Perhaps you might consider a similar course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.