PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
By all means this is a peculiar blend. From its name to tin design, to its structure and mechanics. And then smoking it is another experience. The simple tin art gives nothing of the blend, but may relate since it will get your head gears going akin to the gears on the tin. And now when you open the tin, you are welcomed, or rather hit by a pungent smell. I will do my best to describe. It smells like a butcher house that has a grill. And you're making sausage, lamb sausage with herbs and spices while getting a smell of the grill as well. or it smells like manure as others have called it. But the image I had in my mind whiffing the tin was that image I spoke of. my tin had a large oily, nearly pitch black rope and a small piece, probably to complete the weight. Now to prepare this. it gets a bit tricky. As soon as you start cutting the rope to coins, they start breaking into some flakes that are drowning moist. And you get all that aroma on your hands and in the air. from there you can pack it however you want, but from trying a couple of bowls, try chopping this as small as you can. I tried it both dried out and moist. And here is how it goes. It is easy to pack once you slice it small enough, then the pain begins. This blend has to be constantly relighted. And by constantly I mean 2-3 puffs then relight. and so on, that of course when you smoke it moist. And you'll find that it will expand considerably in size while getting all that moisture out. And if you smoke it dry, you lose most of the body sadly. so beware. Now to the body of the blend, it is definitely a strong blend, quite potent in aroma, taste and room note. This one won't make you any friends and you may lose some as well. But the good thing is the room note doesn't linger for long. The taste of it is consistent throughout the bowl, it tastes like charbroiled meat with a tinge of freshly ground black pepper all over it. I tried smoking it fast, slow and in between but the taste profile never changed, and with that it never bites or leaves moisture in the bowl despite being nearly wet rather than moist. through the mid bowl the peppery taste reminds me of a simple cigar without complex taste, or one that has been lit, put off and rested for a while before relighting it. It burns down nicely and leaves a perfectly fine grey ash that falls down with a single tap of the pipe. It isn't an all day smoke, and can be annoying to maintain but in its virtue, it delivers quite a kick both in nicotine, flavour and body. I recommend it for those who want a simple, strong smoke from time to time and won't mind the constant relighting
Pipe Used: Ropp vintage cutty with horn
Age When Smoked: One year old

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good review. This is one of the stronger blends, but not quite as strong as the brown twist/rope available. Unless you are accustomed to extra strong blends, it's wise to start with a partial bowl or a small-bowl pipe, to get its measure and see how you do. Some folks take it in stride, others not. The experience is smoking this "neat," but it also can be mixed with milder leaf to bolster the flavor but not go the whole distance. I wouldn't order more than one tin until you try it. Also, give it a chance; don't abandon it after a first smoke. That is why you go slow at first.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I don't load it up often, but I thoroughly enjoy the Brown and Black X ropes whenever the occasion rises.
Sounds like a perfect way to enjoy the holiday morning!
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My favorite prep for this one is to cut coins, then cube cut the coins and let it dry overnight. Gravity fill with no tamp, light and enjoy!

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Thanks all for your constant encouragement and I am glad you like my review
@mso As always, thanks for your constant support and recommendations

@chasingambers I will certainly try this

Dec 28, 2015
Personally I just can't get past the smell of burning flesh. Not what I'm looking for in a pipe smoking experience. The only SG product I have tried that I didn't like. But that was a good review.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As soon as you start cutting the rope to coins, they start breaking into some flakes that are drowning moist.
Love the stuff. I use a Burley mix as "tinder." But glorious! My mouth waters for it.
And yet, my head says, "cock the shotgun and be ready for looters."
Let's hope I get to bag a few. Maybe they're good eatin'.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@johnbarleycorn.. you do you, mate.. it's all about enjoyment
@deathmetal.. yeah.. I guess we can chew that one..with that sausage smell

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ahmad, you probably wrote a good review but unfortunately I couldn't read it all the way through...it needs to be broken up into separate paragraphs, not one huge one which is very difficult to read.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thank you Ahmad, I'm glad it was taken as it was intended and not as though I was belittling your reviews. It's just hard work on the eyes when everything is written as such an not having natural breaks. Keep 'em coming chum.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hmm:
By all means this is a peculiar blend. From its name to tin design, to its structure and mechanics. And then smoking it is another experience. The simple tin art gives nothing of the blend, but may relate since it will get your head gears going akin to the gears on the tin.
When you open the tin, you are welcomed, or rather hit by a pungent smell. I will do my best to describe. It smells like a butcher house that has a grill. And you're making sausage, lamb sausage with herbs and spices while getting a smell of the grill as well. or it smells like manure as others have called it. But the image I had in my mind whiffing the tin was that image I spoke of. My tin had a large oily, nearly pitch-black rope and a small piece, probably to complete the weight.
As soon as you start cutting the rope to coins, they start breaking into some flakes that are drowning moist. And you get all that aroma on your hands and in the air. From there you can pack it however you want, but from trying a couple of bowls, try chopping this as small as you can. I tried it both dried out and moist. And here is how it goes. It is easy to pack once you slice it small enough, then the pain begins.
This blend has to be constantly relighted. And by constantly I mean 2-3 puffs then relight. And so on, that of course when you smoke it moist. And you'll find that it will expand considerably in size while getting all that moisture out. And if you smoke it dry, you lose most of the body sadly. So beware.
Now to the body of the blend, it is definitely a strong blend, quite potent in aroma, taste and room note. This one won't make you any friends and you may lose some as well. But the good thing is the room note doesn't linger for long. The taste of it is consistent throughout the bowl, it tastes like charbroiled meat with a tinge of freshly ground black pepper all over it. I tried smoking it fast, slow and in between but the taste profile never changed, and with that it never bites or leaves moisture in the bowl despite being nearly wet rather than moist. through the mid bowl the peppery taste reminds me of a simple cigar without complex taste, or one that has been lit, put off and rested for a while before relighting it.
It burns down nicely and leaves a perfectly fine grey ash that falls down with a single tap of the pipe. It isn't an all day smoke, and can be annoying to maintain but in its virtue, it delivers quite a kick both in nicotine, flavour and body. I recommend it for those who want a simple, strong smoke from time to time and won't mind the constant relighting.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@deathmetal.. you're just grand, eh?
@johnbarleycorn sure, mate..I got it :)
@Jay yea, I understand..It's okay.. I always welcome positive suggestions.. And actually Deathmetal came to the rescue

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's a really good review that accurately describes the experience I had with the blend as well. Glorious stuff, hard to get it lit, which is why sometimes mixing it up with a dry Burley like Cotton Boll Twist can really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.