PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Morning gentlemen, I am sitting on my patio at oh'dark thirty this morning contentedly puffing my pipe. Sleep escapes me again lol. The thought hit me again this morning as it often does at this time in the morning "thank goodness for me Pipe"! There is nothing better to pass the wee hours of the morning when you cannot sleep than a pipe. I have used Copenhagen for most of my life and Copenhagen fails at this time in the morning. Copenhagen makes my mouth sore by this time in the morning and it always seemed as if I needed more salvia to keep it moist than I had in reserve. I have smoked coffin nails in the past and by this time in the morning they taste more horrible than usual and tend to bite me in the back of my throat.
But a pipe, why a pipe just seems to make insomnia damn near a pleasure lol! The perfect combination for a few years now has been a pipe, this forum, and a cup of coffee as I give up on sleep. This morning it is a bowl of Big and Burley with a cup of coffee to remain sane.
Just seems my friendly neighborhood tobacco pipe just cannot be beat for passing the time. It is beautiful out here this morning. Temperature is 69 degrees Fahrenheit with just a touch of a breeze. This is tough duty but somebody has to do it and I will go the extra mile no worries. The Life Flight bird just went over me and I know my morning is better than that guys!
I swear a pipe makes everything better. I cannot find one situation in which a pipe would make it worse. Even death, if you say I am to be shot and I get one wish, and not getting shot could not be used as the wish, I would wish for a pipe and puff away as I went away lmao!!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
So eloquently put, I to go through periods when I cant sleep, don't think Insomnia, just my work schedule been on rotating shifts for so long it takes a while to get my body clock back on track. I to find comfort in my pipe, passes the time fine, I will no longer wonder if I am the only fool sitting on the porch smoking a pipe at 2AM

uneek

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2016
You can count me in that club. I work odd hours which keeps me up even when not working. Nothing beats a purposefully chosen pipe full of your favorite tobacco while the world sleeps. It's peaceful, the pipe makes it even moreso, and I appreciate thee quiet times like that.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I love a bowl full of OJK or 5 Brothers as my first smoke of the day, but after 5pm I don't smoke the strong blends because they give me insomnia. Grizzly Dip even keeps me awake after 5pm.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I had a rough week sleeping and two nights this week I was that guy sitting on the back porch at 0200 puffing away. I have a creek that runs along the back of my property, so the sound of frogs and other critters at that hour is a nice accompaniment to puffing my way slowly through a bowl of good baccy.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Whenever I have trouble sleeping I sit and puff on a pipe. Never outside however due to the abundance of unfriendly visitors that seem fond of my yard. Have found tracks of black bear, feral hog, and mountain lion within a hundred feet of my door. Also came face to face with a coyote the size of a German Shepherd at the back of my yard a few years back.

Yep, I got up at 5 with a bowl of Virginia Spice. The dog and I fed the goat, which is still in my backyard, fed the rabbits, and watered the kitchen garden. I made biscuits and sausage, and woke the house up, and am now setting out here on my deck with a cup of coffee and a bowl of LTF. My wife put some Yonder Mountain String Band on the music box, and the birds are all trying to find the harmony.

While I had no problems sleeping, I find that as I get old, those hours before rattling everyone up is worth waking up early for. Well, my shrinking bladder also had a say in it, ha ha. You young men will know what I'm talking about soon enough, ha ha.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I just like getting up early when the world is quiet. Also like staying up late for the same reason. And always there is a pipe with me. Nevermind, I am just a misanthrope. ;)

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Joined the Army in 1985, Law Enforcement career after, so for the past 30 years I've always been a early riser and late nights till the job was done, the later part with shifts rotating every 3 months, sleep cycle and natural body clock all screwed up. The last year I've had a straight job with normal hours and regular days off, my girlfriend loves that I am home and we get to do things together but I go thru periods where I cant sleep, 3-4 nights I'll be up till 1 or 2AM and the next 2-3 nights Im so exhausted I sleep like a rock, but still every morning up at 5AM for coffee, news and a bowl of EMP, a few hours of me time be for work

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Yesterday i was up at 2 a.m smoking my pipe, I smoked some luxury bullseye flake, I like the quietness of the early hours of the morning, to me it almost feel like those hours are magical, there is something weird and wonderful smoking a pipe in the early hours of the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.