Agnosticpipe Is Gone... Say Hello To Orley!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
After using agnosticpipe as a display/user name for about a year, I've decided to go with "Orley", a nickname I've had for the last 45 years. I always seem to want to hide it out of habit, because originally it was used to kind of make fun of me. But people, and by people I mean my ex-wife and my current wife, always seem to let it slip out. So I've gotten used to it and now have come to embrace it, because I always liked the stories on Little Orley records, and now I even have them on CD and play them for my grandkids.
I started with agnosticpipe, not as a statement, or as me having an agenda, I just feel I am somewhat agnostic about lots of things, agnostic basically meaning "no knowledge". I figured a pipe has no knowledge, it's just a tool or object made from some sort of wood, clay, or meerschaum, and vulcanite, lucite, and sometimes metal and other bits. It is just what we use to smoke our favorite tobaccos that we love so much. I think I was over thinking the name thing and now I'm having second thoughts about it. Also, all in all it's not a pleasant sounding word, and some don't like the connotations it brings to mind. (good grief! how can someone have no beliefs!)
So adios agnosticpipe, now Orley is here! ( and that's with a capital O in respect to the original LIttle Orley, and Hugh Brannum his creator.)

Cheers everyone! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting. Interesting story. I'm seriously considering changing my nom de plume for written work.

The down-to-earth name I've always used is not remembered, or remembered wrong, and there are

many others with the name. I may use a slight rearrangement of components of my name, a ploy I rejected

years ago as sounding too affected. But in a time when artists go by, well, all kinds of names, I'd like

readers (if any) to at least retain that much. Welcome Orley. Much easier to remember, and a good history

behind it too.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Some times a nickname just sticks..Puffy.. is one I got hung on me at work many years ago.I guess it had to with my pipe smoking.I still use it here.I like Orley.It should serve you well.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Is this the work of hackers? Terrorists? What have you done with agnosticpipe? The proper authorities have been notified!
If this change IS legitimate, then the next thing you know, Kevin will be changing his name to Calvin...or Hef!

Ha ha Hunter,

When I used cosmicfolklore, I was thinking mostly about my business, emails, and all of that. And, when people shortened it to Cosmic and Cos, I thought that made me sound a little too hippy dippy for who I really am. But, it's grown on me. My real nickname is Reddog, but there's already several versions of that being used. Besides, as the years go by, I'm more of a graydog now, ha ha!!
Nice name, Orley.

Status
Not open for further replies.