PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I love my Virginia flakes but I have to limit how much I smoke them as they really bite me. Will aging my Virginias mellow them out so they will bite less?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks rothnh. I will crack a tin a year from now and see if there are any improvements. If not, I will wait 2-5 yrs and so on. In the mean time I will take it easy. I have discovered that I can smoke burley/virginia flakes and most English with no problems. I wonder if I spray my virginias with some kind of alkali substance, such as baking soda disolved distilled water and allow it to dry if that could help neutralize the acidity without changing the flavor. I am in the mood for experimentation!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Fresh VA flakes bite me too, I smoke them in a p-lip Pete and keep it slow, no problems

Aging will take it away, and make the smoke sublime, but as stated it takes a few years. IMO one year doesn't do it..3-5 does

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I find letting them dry a little before smoking takes some of the "steam" out of them. I smoke a lot of ps lnf and I always let a flake or two dry half an hour or so before folding and stuffing. Makes for a better smoke IMHO.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think it is a myth that Virginia, with its high(er) sugar content bites. Rather, it is Burley, with its greater alkalinity that is responsible for bite. Virginias can be sharp and piquant, and burn hot and scorch the tongue; but they do not bite, and no amount of aging will compensate for poor smoking habits.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
cortezattic,

Burleys don't bother me a bit, only pure virginias and VaPers. I can dry them out to dust and smoke as slow as a tortoise and they still bite me. Virginias are acidic and burleys are more to the alkali side. Some people are apparently impervious to the virginia bite. Unfortunately, I am not and must take protective measures. I smoked a burley/virginia mix (MacBaren Navy Flake) all day yesterday with no bite whatsoever.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@jah76: I think your post is proof that different smokers are affected by differing PHs. The acidic bothers me and the alkaline bothers you. Some smokers are blessed with cast iron mouths that can handle anything. I have tried heating up my virginias by placing it on a hot plate to dry it and could not tell that it raised the PH. I will try different things and if I stumble onto something that works, I will let you guys know.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I stand corrected,,I just didnt see were he mentioned anything about a chemical reaction, but sounded to me like he was suffering from some toung burn-bite, as I do, so for me, drying first helps alot with Virginia flakes.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
flyguy:
I don't know if this will help or not, but I recently was able to smoke a 16+-year-old tin of Deerstalker, a straight VA that I'd first smoked back in the mid-1980s. I expected all kinds of deeper, richer flavors and enhanced sweetness. Instead, it smoked almost exactly as I noted when I first tried it. Maybe there was some softening/mellowing. . . but if it was there it was awfully subtle.
The experience left me hoping I live long enough to see some actual development among the VAs I've been cellaring! :)
Bob

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
rmbittner:

Did the tin still have that acidic smell (vinegar/catsup)? I have been told that a good Virginia has that smell as it ages/ferments. This smell is really noticeable in McClelland Virginias. Since vinegar is acidic, it is easy to draw the connection.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
flyguy:
You know, I've heard about this "ketchup" smell for years -- particularly with reference to McClelland blends -- and I have to say it's never been anything that I've ever noticed. Or maybe I've just been exposed to Virginias for so long -- I've been smoking a pipe since 1980 -- that I've always simply associated that aroma with aging tobacco rather than ketchup.
But to get more to the heart of your question: If anything, the aroma had only gotten richer over time. It had a marvelous, deep hay smell that I love.
Bob

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Great! Then there is hope in aging my McClelland Virginias. I notice that SG virginias (BB and FVF) and Dunhill Flake do not have the vinegary smell. Maybe I should smoke those more and see if the bite is less.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Harris and Roth:

I will give the sans red virginia flakes a shot. Thanks for the tips everyone!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Flyguy, you know, it's possible that that "ketchup" scent --so often attributed to McClelland blends -- is a result of the specific Virginias and aging processes that are unique to that company. In my experience a number of British and European companies rely on African Virginias rather than American varieties, and their overall profile tends to be darker and, at least to me, deeper. Couple that with different approaches to aging, and it's not too surprising that their tin aromas would be quite different from McClelland's.
Bob

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have one more question: Which brands of Virginia Flakes and VaPers are without red virginia tobacco? Most of the descriptions just say "Virginias". I currently have a few tins of SG BBF, SG FVF, McBaren Navy Flake and Dunhill Flake.

(Note: I see from a previous post that Dunhill Flake has no red virginia tobacco- any others?)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flyguy, careful of the Mac Baren Navy Flake, that one tingles me a bit. The SG flakes you have are no bite to my senses.
This is my list of no bite flakes that I have in my cellar. I detect no Red Virginia's in any of them and I am very sensitive to the stuff.
Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Fribourg andd Treyer Vintage

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Solani Silver Flake TR

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake TR

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Esoterica Stonehaven

Rotary Navy Cut

Petersons Irish Flake
Virginia/Perique Flakes

Escudo

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks cigrmaster,

I will keep this list for referral. Funny how people are different as I am unaffected by MacBaren Navy Flake. If I had a choice, I would smoke the McClelland Flakes all day as I love the flavor but will need to reduce them to an occasional smoke. :(

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth,

Right now I am smoking Dunhill Flake in my trusty calabash. I am getting some bite but a lot less than the McClelland blends. It is not quite as sweet or tasty as the McClelland though.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.