PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Just started in May and have read and learned a lot on the forum. I've been buying bulk lately especially with the sale on Peter Stokkebye for my open tobacco rotation and been buying tins for the cellar. My thinking is that I'll let the tins age at least 6 months and try it then; my thought being at least some of the "magic" of aging has happened and then decide about ordering more to cellar. Is this a good idea or should I try everything fresh first? I'm only buying a tin or 2 of each blend to cellar so if something is not to my liking I'm not out a lot and am sure I could trade it here for something else.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
From time to time I have fallen into the trap of having too many tins open at once. If it is a new blend, I have to try it to decide if I want to buy more of it, but it gets out of hand if I buy too many new blends in a short amount of time. I wouldn't really want to store something I may not like. That's just me, though. Six months is not really considered a huge amount of time for ageing, anyway. If you're hedging your bets with being able to use it as trade goods, make sure they are popular blends. I don't much like Escudo; the several tins I have in the cellar will probably make OK trade goods at some point, though. I popped my second tin at around the 6-month mark. I could not detect any change. I will try a third tin at the 2-year mark; if I still don't "get" Escudo, it will go up for trade.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the world of the pipe.

As a new smoker, I would strongly advise against trying to age things you haven't tried. You don't know what you like, yet, and your tastes are going to evolve. I'd suggest buying two 50 gram tins of a new blend you are considering aging; open one and smoke it. If you like it, you have one for the cellar; if not, you've got one to trade.

The general consensus is that change is really noticeable in 5 year increments. 6 months to a year is not enough time. If I am buying something to age, I expect to smoke it 5 or 10 years down the road.

Enjoy the journey. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Six months is not really considered a huge amount of time for ageing, anyway.

I have to disagree with both Aldecaker and Jud. The single greatest improvement from aging comes at about six months!

After that, not much happens until 2 yrs., then 5 yrs., then 10 yrs., etc.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's my 2 cents.
Try the blend(s) fresh to see if you like them. A good blend will smoke well fresh, and will "improve" with age. The reason for the quotes is that taste is individual. Escudo is a popular blend that some like better fresh from the tin while others like it with some aging. I like it both ways. The aging brings out the fruitiness in the blend, but it also cuts some of its edge. So if you like the edge, you like Escudo fresh and if you like the fruitiness you like Escudo aged.
But first, just try some blends to find out what you like. Then you can buy some to put away. According to Greg Pease, the most pronounced benefit to aging occurs in the first 2-3 years. After that, the changes to the flavors are incremental.
6 months may give you a different flavor, but not likely much of a difference. Again, that varies from blend to blend. Even with long term aging - 10 - 30 years, the blend isn't going to turn into something entirely different. Escudo will still taste like Escudo, just with certain elements more pronounced, or more blended, while other elements have receded.

Status
Not open for further replies.