PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Read much on aging tobacco. How does one age it? Guess more specifically, do you age tinned/canned tobacco in the container it came in, or do you put it in a mason jar to age? Thanks!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It depends on the container. Some like the McClelland or Rattray tins are great as is. Others like the Hearth & Home tins or S. Gawaith tins are questionable. If there is any question about it, then a mason jar is the best option. Avoid too much heat or sunlight and the aging will take care of itself. Of course, everytime you open the jar, the aging "resets".

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Aging will take place in the tin; or in a jar if you bought the tobacco in bulk, or opened the tin for sampling.

IMO, way too much is made of aging. Surely most tobaccos will improve, with the most noticeable changes taking place

after about six months. The rate of improvement will decline, with the next noticeable improvements coming at about

two, five, and ten years -- or so I've been given to believe. Personally, I think fresh tobaccos exhibit what G.L. Pease

has described as youthful exuberance -- generally more sharp and citrus in the case of Virginias, and more smooth and

unified in the case of other leaf. Best thing to do is try it.
ps. Thanks, jgriff, for the word "resets". Some folks have implied that aging stops once the tin or jar has been opened.

G.L. Pease has noted that some form of aging will resume -- it just won't continue on in the same way as an unopened jar.
As another member, Zekest, has pointed out, the Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring FAQ is loaded with information.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This may constitute TMI, but I think many folks drawn by the thread title would enjoy this piece written by member, Kashmir.
As an Assistant Professor of Microbiology, who is also an avid pipe smoker, I have long wondered what microbial processes are at work on the aging process of pipe tobacco. After doing some preliminary literature searches [...], I have come to the conclusion that much less is known about these processes in tobacco, than, say, microbial fermentations leading to other useful commercial products (e.g., those found in the food and beverage industries).
Apparently as these tobaccos age prior to the canning process itself, a number of microbiological events occur, involving a range of distinct species of bacteria and fungi. This is because of high water levels that drop during production, finally reaching their lowest states prior to canning. After canning, [...], these microbial processes continue, somewhat abated, and most surprisingly involve an entirely different population of microbes, one encompassing more fungi and less bacteria.
After sealing, of course, the oxygen levels plummet, from 20% atmospheric to levels lower than 5% eventually, over time. This is due to the metabolic process of the populations of obligate aerobes that came in with the tobacco, and are most active in the presence of high levels of oxygen. Concomitantly, the endogenous aerobic species that came in with the tobacco gradually give way to the emergence of at first facultative (~10-15% oxygen) and then obligate (less than 5% oxygen) anaerobic microbes. The biological processes that these microbes undergo (from obligate aerobes through to facultative and then eventually obligate anaerobes) result in the production of a number of different classes of volatile molecules.
As every schoolboy knows, organic molecules (hydrocarbons) are classified into four groups (sugars, proteins, nucleic acids and lipids). Interestingly, as the aging process proceeds, over years, the sugars become fully metabolized first by the aerobes early on, leaving primarily the latter three classes of molecules. The deamination (yielding organic acids) and decarboxylation (yielding volatile, smelly amines) of amino acids in the proteins and the conversion of the lipids into smaller, more volatile fatty acid chains, is what is primarily responsible for the “bouquet” upon opening the tobacco can.
Presumably, during the smoking, it is the presence of these volatiles that lend the palate of the blend. The sugars that do remain, that were not accessible to the early degredation by the obligate aerobes, is what is going on with the sugar-rich Virginias. Apparently, the packing of the tobacco (plug verses loose) is what determines how much of this sugar is freely metabolized early on. To me, it would seem, a Virginia plug would retain more sugar than a loosely packed Virginia.
I did some minor editing to preclude confusion in the present context.

Dec 24, 2012
The square and rectangular tins are notoriously unreliable for long term aging. I store those in an airtight container with a silicone gasket. Each airtight container that I buy holds about 35-45 of these tins. My nickels worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.