PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Quick question: What are the dimensions of the jars you use to age tobacco? I'd like to just put the tin in and seal it and walk away but have no way of knowing if the tins will fit in the stuff I'm looking at online. I found these. But wasn't sure. Does anyone have a specific jar that they order that they know works? Thanks.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
As a general rule I've found that the jar needs to be double the tobacco in ounces.For example two ounces of tobacco would need a four ounce jar.I prefer wide mouth jars.The only thing I've ever put in jars is bulk tobacco.I just leave the tins as they are since they are vacuum sealed.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I don't so much care about how much since I can always buy more jars if need be. I just need to make sure the round tins will fit.

@Puffy I ordered a ton of tobacco and will only be home for a few weeks. I plan to open and try at least 1 or 2 bowls from every tin and store the rest so that won't work for me. It would be easier to keep it in the tins but I can just dump it if need be.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I don't see why you can't just put the tins and all in the jar, that's what I do. I don't even seal the jars unless I am going to let it sit for a while (more than a month). I just pick up some jars from Target. I don't know the size I just pulled a tin out to see if it would fit and bought the one that it fit in.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
With ribbon-cuts (and shags), I tend to use 250ml jars for 50g/2oz of leaf, with the 500ml jars for 100g/4oz (IE MacBaren) tins. With curly-cuts, flakes, broken flakes, cakes, plugs, twists and ropes, I usually reach for the 250ml jars, even with 4oz of tobacco to store, as the denser presentation allows me to use less space. Always use wide-mouth, it is easier to get the tobacco both in and out.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
As a general guide:

2 oz / 50g tins = pint Mason jars (16 oz)

4 oz / 100g = 1/2 quart (2 pints, 32 oz) jar
Once you open a tin, your best bet is emptying it into the jar for a decent seal. If you're striving for aging, leave it in the tin; or if it's in bulk, seal it under sanitary conditions and store it in the back of the closet. It's tobacco, a very hearty and already-processed substance; most commercial blends have plenty of fungicidal in them, adequate for short-term storage (less than ~60 days without a lot of handling). Touching your tobacco a lot introduces bacteria and potential contaminants, not recommended for long-term storage.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks all. I think that answered most of my questions. I'll just be buying lots of tins of the stuff I try and like. Probably won't be home for 6 months - 1 year after I go this time so no temptation to smoke what I set aside for aging :D I think I'm going to grab as much Penzance and Stonehaven as I can while I'm in London to try to age it while I'm gone. Sounds like it's some goooooood stuff.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Sounds like you've got it under control but I'll toss another 2 cents in. I just bought the pint "Jam" jars. They have a wide mouth and hold approximately a 2oz tin. When I pop a tin I'll put 1/2-3/4 of it in the jar for safe keeping and just smoke whats left in the tin, that way I'm not disturbing the jar's contents and I have a good 5-8 bowls to try. Works for me and my smoking rate -YMMV.
Also, I could be wrong but I have heard that Penzance/Stonehaven, though made "in the British Isles" is actually nearly impossible to find in Britain. I think that the same blend as penzance is sold under "Germaines special latakia flake", not sure about stonehaven.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks strave, that's probably what I'll do. I looked over my order history and I'll have the following waiting for me when I get home:

Hearth and Home: Marquee Black House; Larry's Blend; LJ Heart Virginia; House of Lords; Strike Force; Classic Burley Kake; Frenchy's Sunza Bitches

McClelland's: Rose of Latakia; Frog Morton; Frog Morton on the Town; Frog Morton on the Bayou; Frog Morton Across the Pond

Just for him: Middle Earth series sampler

Esoterica: Penzance

Sam Gawith: Perfection
Seeing as how I'll smoke maybe 2 bowls a day (more if I'm at a bar or something like that) there is now way I'll ever be able to get through all that in the month I'll be home. I'll probably just do a couple bowls of each and dump the rest in mason jars. Then I'll order more of the stuff I really like and let it age. Thanks for the help on jar sizings everyone.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Nice selection you picked up there, kkss (i'm still trying to figure out a shorter nickname for you :oops: ). And I'll second the advice about the wide-mouth jars, definitely the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.