Aging Rattrays in Original Tin or Jar it Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I have tin of Marlin Flake and Red Raparee, still unsealed, that I want to age. These tins feel kind of like a paper tin. So my question is are these tins good to age in or should I transfer to a jar?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Good to know! Follow up question, does the red rapparee age well or should I go ahead and bust it open? I have quite a few other tins already open, but all the reviews on the red rap make it sound delicious.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
RRR ages beautifully and changes a lot. I have some 10 year old stuff (coming out of tins no problems) and it is very mellow indeed - none of the sharp edges that a fresh batch shows. This aged leaf is actually a little more like McClelland Jubilee - sweet va with turkish notes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Just to be clear, are we talking about the 100gr paint can tins for the 50gr round tins? I ask because I didn't start to cellar until about 2012, three years ago. I have a few 100gr paint can tins of HOTW/OG from 2015 and also a few 50gr tins. Just this year, 2018, I stashed away some 100gr cans/tins of various Rattray.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I was referring to the 100gr paint can tins. They felt a little flimsy compared to a McClelland tin at first. I actually opened up both of mine (because I wanted to taste them) and realized they are well made and don't think I have anything to worry about.
And what I ended up doing was taking some of the Marlin and some of the RRR and put it in a small jar for smoking now, then placed the rest in a larger jar to age. And I liked the Marlin so much I bought two more tins to let rest even longer.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I think some even come in a plastic wrapper, thinking of the orange blossom aromatic ... Others come in a similar packaging as McClelland, so I think it should be fine to age in the original tin.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have a bunch of the 100gram tins from 2010 and have noticed some rust spots on the bottom of some of the tins. I would check the white stickers on the bottom of the can, if it looks bumpy underneath the sticker it could be rust. That’s what I noticed on a couple of mine and it was in fact starting to rust. I opened the tins and jarred as the rust had not yet compromised the tobacco. But from personal experience those tins do rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.