PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Regarding aging flake (or rope, plug, etc) for those who rub it out: do you age it as is, or rub it out first? I have never rubbed it out first, but the thought occurred to me today. Anyone ever do this and, if so, what was the result?
Thanks -S

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Age it as is, then rub it out before smoking. I've never tried to rub it out before hand, not sure I would want to. there is just something beautiful in seeing a nicely aged flake covered in sugar crystals.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never rub out flake and then age it. I age every flake how it comes and then either break it up with my fingers, cut it into cubes or fold and stuff right before smoking.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't do it because it'd be a hassle, first of all, but I'd think flakes are meant to age as is.
Not to mention that you would probably accelerate the drying process by doing it that way.
All the same, if you have a cheap flake feel free to give it a shot.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Well it was just an idea. I'm going to go with the wisdom of the forum on this.
(May try one just to see what happens)
I suppose also that aging it as it comes allows the flavors to meld a bit more than rubbing it out first.
I'll come back for the wisdom of the board if I have any other random nutty ideas :)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It definitely can't hurt, IMO, but it may change how it ages exactly.
Split one tin between two jars, one whole and the other rubbed out and compare the results a year down the road!

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
My flake tobacco ages in the tin or jarred intact. I've never tried it any other way, but I like the sound of sparroa's experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.