PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

storfiskarn52

Lurker
Oct 14, 2016
Sweden
I am buying large quantities of RYO Virginia tobacco, and am wondering if age it for like 6-12 months would yield results in improved taste? Yes, I know one can not take cheap tobacco, age it and expect it to taste premium, but it not what I am asking, I wonder if it would improve its taste. And since I'm not choosy, even a smaller improvement would be appreciated

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I wouldn't think ageing would help, RYO for the most part is dry and age would be of no benefit, think you would end up with dryer tobacco

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
If you would consider D&R Three Sails as RYO,then yes RYO virginia tobacco can improve(at least for my tastes). It was harsh as I remember it but now seems smoother and sweeter after getting back at it after a few months in a mason jar. By the way, I smoke it as a pipe tobacco.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
if age it for like 6-12 months would yield results in improved taste?
Yes ... aging takes time but does improve the smoke. It must be stored at the proper temps and humidity to continue it's reactions.
Now, if you want to "cheat" time a little, you could try kilning it for a month at temps of 120-130F and RH of 65-70%.

Status
Not open for further replies.