PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
I know that aging and storing are 2 different things and that certain aromatics don't store well because the casings degrade with time and they also might not age well because the casings are bad for the bacteria that facilitate the aging.
I have also read there are exceptions. (In unreliable internet blogs)
1. How can a newbie know which aromatics might either store well or age well? Are there certain types of casings that either hold up better or are less toxic to the bacteria?
2. Does anyone know how lane 1q or BCA hold up over time? What about mac baren vanilla or the sutliff aromatics?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The aromatics you've mentioned will hold up good over time. I've got some Lane and MacBaren aromatics that have been in jars for 5 yrs and they taste the same as fresh.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Does anyone know how lane 1q or BCA hold up over time?
I recently smoked some BCAQ from 2012 and it had lost a little bit of flavor, but tasted fine. It wasn't better or worse, just the same. I think they'll hold up over time, but won't benefit any from aging.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
A lot depends on the base tobacco's. Aro's with a base of virginia like Stokkebye twisted flake or some of the Mcclelland bulk flakes like fragrant mature cake will age very well. Not everyone considers them aro's but they do have a topping so I consider them to be.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Fritzy... ahhhh... thats what i wanted to know... bc i heard some do.
So if its a light casing.... on a base tobaco that does age (ie. not a burley)...
That can age some..

(I like buying 4ozs so i can get the lower price, lol.. and i like to think it will age,.. lol!!)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
1Q and BCA are very mild aros to begin with and will get milder with age. I don't consider that any benefit. I've yet to meet a flavored aro that actually improved with age.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
The only thing I have noticed is that if I store an aromatic like Lane RLP-6 in a large container that I continually open it seems to loose a bit. I assume that this is because of the constant application of dry air that happens when I open the mason Jar.
Also, I have a 50/50 mixture of Lane BCA and MV100 that I did not fall in love with. PM if you would like me to send you some.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The lane blends get used as house blends by many tobacconists, big 5lb bags kicking around to top up the jars...I am sure they are made to store well but I have not personally noticed any difference in them aging, although have not purposely left any of the lane aromatics to age for any length of time

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I have some aromatics in long term storage (10+ years). I put an O2 absorber into each mason jar and seal. I believe if there is going to be degradation it will be via oxidation. I won't know until about 2025 though.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I would regard it as a positive thing if the flavourings dissipated over time leaving behind only the taste of pure tobacco
Then why not just buy pure blending tobacco? Its a lot cheaper.

There are a few tinned aromatics that I prefer with a little age on them.

Holger Danske Mango Vanilla and also their Orange and Mild and Solani Mango Flakes
I don't age them to totally lose any of the aromatic toppings, but to let them meld more, so that there is a little more tobacco flavor stepping forward. I still want the Mango and orange flavors, but melded with the tobacco more. I also like to blend in some Kentucky Dark Fired with them to give them a bass note, but in the 105F summer days, with 100% humidity and pressure system laying on top of us like a used wet mop, a nice sweet and light aromatic can help ease me through the day.

I am a Virginia snob, so it has to taste pretty good to make me hoard back some tins.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've smoked aros up to 8 years old and in my experience, they don't dissipate entirely, it is never like they were just pure english tobacco, it is more like food that is well past the sell by or use by date, the taste simply deteriorates. IMO, if you are going to smoke aros, smoke them for how they taste fresh, and expect to smoke them within several years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Then why not just buy pure blending tobacco? Its a lot cheaper."
Jitterbug, I don't buy blending tobacco but I do buy straight tobacco blends, mostly with little or no flavourings added. These (in the UK at least) cost neither more nor less than aromatic blends so I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.
I personally prefer my tobacco to taste of tobacco and nothing else, how wrong can that be?
Regards,
Jay.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
These (in the UK at least) cost neither more nor less than aromatic blends so I am not quite sure of the point you are trying to make.
Wow! I just checked bulk "blending" tobacco prices with bulk aro and you are right Jay, they are essentially the same price. I had always assumed a pure blending tobacco would be massively cheaper. I see your point now!
If you are looking for some pure tobacco maybe order some whole leaf from wholeleaftobacco while you still can. I think the UK is banning it this April-July?. For comparison (in the US) a pound of whole leaf is about $15.00 (12 quid) and a pound of blending tobacco is about $35.00

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I should add a link: http://wholeleaftobacco.com/
If you live outside the U.S. and you want cheap (but high quality)leaf get it now!

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
If you are looking for some pure tobacco maybe order some whole leaf from wholeleaftobacco while you still can. I think the UK is banning it this April-July?. For comparison (in the US) a pound of whole leaf is about $15.00 (12 quid) and a pound of blending tobacco is about $35.00
I would think that whole leaf unprocessed tobacco would be to pipe tobacco as grape juice would be to wine. A raw material that would take a lot of time and expertise to make something enjoyable. Id rather leave it to the experts

Status
Not open for further replies.