PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Happy Holidays All,
I was recently gifted several tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer. They vary by year, mostly between the mid 2000's to 2017. The one exception is a tin from 1992. I'm curious as to how long can you age those Virginias before they stop aging or begin degrading. Other than being able to say I have an unopened tin of 1992 Christmas Cheer, is there any benefit to allowing a 26 year old tin to remain unopened and unsmoked? I'm not a collector by no means. I cellar for future use.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, you have a great friend! The 1992 was the first Christmas Cheer release, and it goes for sick amounts of money when a tin is offered for sale. As to your question about aging, it all comes down to whether you like how Virginias change with aging. In the case of the Red and Orange Virginias used in CC, the flavors intensify over time and the blend can take on a sweetness that it doesn't have when fresh. The biggest part of that change happens in the first 5 years and then becomes more incremental over time. So your 1992 is ready to be enjoyed if you want, or it will keep for a few decades more before peaking and heading south. Just keep the tins stored in a cool dark dry environment to keep anything bad from happening before you decide to open that tin.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sell it or smoke it.....its ready. Like Sable says it definitely gets better, but slowly. The thing to keep in mind about OLD/AGED baccy is that when you open it, it starts to degrade. The oxygen will start to affect it negatively. So, and I admit this is shameless, send it to me for proper disposal.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t have a tin that was no longer gaining anything by being aged any further. I suppose I’ll just smoke it. I’m turning the corner on 40 in a few months. Maybe that’s as good of a time as ever to smoke a 26 year old tin of McClelland.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I’m turning the corner on 40 in a few months. Maybe that’s as good of a time as ever to smoke a 26 year old tin of McClelland.
Yup. It is. You could always send it to me to make sure it's okay. I wouldn't want you to get sick from an old tin of tobacco. I care about your well-being.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Sell it and buy 20 tins of something newer. Or a new gun. Or a fancy dinner out. Or a vintage Ashton Sovereign. Or a camera. Or a new fly rod. Or...

Status
Not open for further replies.