PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Do you note the date you received the tin or the date marked on the tin when trying to age for the future? Also which brands always have the date? This seems usefull.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I thought this was going to be about a new smartphone game in which you build your own cellar and attempt to pillage the cellars of others. I was also hoping Kate Upton would somehow be involved.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Do you note the date you received the tin or the date marked on the tin when trying to age for the future?
Obviously if you have a date on the tin when you get it, it seems redundant to use the date received. I received some St. James woods from 2011 in 2013 so I'm not going to take 2 years of age off of it as it will be approaching the 4 year mark I believe in July.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I thought this was going to be about a new smartphone game in which you build your own cellar and attempt to pillage the cellars of others. I was also hoping Kate Upton would somehow be involved.
If you haven't seen the kate upton/Jennifer lawrence/etc. cellar inbox me and I'll send you the link. Best newstory of 2014. Very surprising at the level of photo's they took.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
C&D now dates their tins as well with a price-type sticker on the bottom of the tin.
I date when I receive regardless of date listed, I just like to know when I've laid my hands on any particular tin.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
It seems that older stock (when marked) is more valuable than the newer stuff. Why do some manufactures NOT mark it?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It seems that older stock (when marked) is more valuable than the newer stuff. Why do some manufactures NOT mark it?
Probably because cellaring is a relatively recent phenomenon. Three was no demand for dating tins until recently. I would imagine changing the process to do this would be expensive, and some of these companies are pretty darn small. :puffy:

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
If it doesn't have a date code on it already just the month and year I received it unless its a aromatic since I don't plan on aging those.

Status
Not open for further replies.